Best fuel for MPG.

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Best fuel for MPG.

Post by David. »

In the 2012 Camhead BMW Owners Manual, BMW recommends BP fuels. During a trial between Tesco Momentum and BP Ultimate, the BP fuel returned ~5 mpg better than Tesco.

Different fuels (petrol) have been used in both a 2004 Toyota Corolla and a 2012 Suzuki Swift. BP is coming out "top of the pops" again.

What fuel (petrol or diesel) do you find returns the best mpg and in which vehicle.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 165 times
Wales

Re: Best fuel for MPG.

Post by EasyRider »

I have always used Super in our bikes. It does cost a bit more, but i find they run better and super gives a bit better MPG.
Not fussed on where we buy it as fuel is fuel at the end of the day. And getting over 50mpg keeps me happy.

As for the cars. We only have diesels and over the last 4 or so years, i'm finding the MPG has gone way down in them all.
Wife 2015 1.5 ford focus did nearly 60mpg when we bought it in October 2018. Wife is happy if she get 45mpg now.
My 2013 Mondeo estate did 48+mpg when i bought it in January 2018, now i'm lucky to see 38mpg.
My little 1.4 diesel ford fusion gets the best out of our cars at just under 50mpg around town.
I think with all the extra crap they are now putting in fuel to make it greener, it is not helping.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angel Can Fly. :thumb:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 239 times
Great Britain

Re: Best fuel for MPG.

Post by Doctor T »

Supermarket V the expensive petrol in my 07 bike. I've found a tank full of supermarket stuff gives 10mpg less. I've found no loss in performance overall. This may be different if I rode it like a sports bike.

Is E10 better than E5 petrol? E10 = 10% ethanol, E5 = 5% ethanol per litre.

The ethanol helps to lift standard petrol octane rating to 94RON, but that doesn't translate into higher performance or improved mileage as the alcohol content actually increases fuel consumption due to the fuel's energy density (or how much power you get from each litre of fuel burned).
Overall E5(97RON) is better for the engine as it contains less ethanol and is better for performance and engine longevity
Research has found Ethanol can deteriorate some rubber and silicon overtime. Nowadays if you store petrol, overtime the petrol and Ethanol will separate
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.