Cam head left cam tensioner replacement issue

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
columrick
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT

Cam head left cam tensioner replacement issue

Post by columrick »

2010 1200RT. Getting that startup clacking sound, definitely from the left side, enough so I need to replace that tensioner. Upon unscrewing the left side tensioner from the engine case, I found I can't angle it in any way to remove it. The front suspension pivot, just above where the tensioner is located, appears to be in the way. I spent some time fiddling without success. Anyone provide me with some tech assistance, I'd appreciate it. The tensioner has a 15mm head.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Cam head left cam tensioner replacement issue

Post by Our Gee »

There is a procedure in the Haynes Manual which describes removal of the Tensioners. (Engine in The Frame) Also there are some videos on Utube, unfortunately not for a Camhead although the general procedure will be the same, ie displacement of the Left Throttle Body which I presume you will have done ?.
Do you intend replacement with a standard BMW Tensioner or an "After Market" upgraded item ?.
columrick
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT

Re: Cam head left cam tensioner replacement issue

Post by columrick »

Nevermind. I'm a clown. Finished the other seasonal maintenance issues, and dove back into the tensioner. All I needed was a slim screwdriver to give a bit more leverage to get out the original tensioner. The spring was noticeably shorter than the spring of the new tensioner. Engine starts clack free, and idle is quieter.