Nav V

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Maz12

Re: Nav V

Post by Maz12 »

RTman10 wrote: Mine did the same. I had to hit the Speak button on switch on every time.  Since its been mounted on the RT and connected via Bluetooth it works straight way.
Connected via Bluetooth ? 
I've still not tried mine yet but thought turning the Bluetooth off was the correct method ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It is if you have the audio unit fitted and its wired to your Autocom.  You get prompts via that. I have no audio unit so have to Bluetooth the Nav to the Autocom via a Btm02a Unit. Disadvantages are no control of volume using the wheel.  Advantages, I can play music from the Nav. You of course just plug whatever you want into the bike for music.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Thank you once again
Pope

Post by Pope »

stever1 wrote: Going by reports on other forums I would hold off buying a nav 5. Lots of problems.

6500miles and no problems with my Nav5, and worked great in France....just wish it had the same functionality as on the GS's though.. >:(
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Still with this thread,  don't suppose any of you lucky `2014' owners have an older and working  Sat Nav from your earlier RT's you would consider  selling on.    If so contact via messages,  ta. 
Regards,
Steve

2012 RT
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sorry no.  However there should be lots of Nav IVs or 660s out there at a good price.  Just make sure they are registered for lifetime updates before you buy.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Hi  RTman10, thanks for the heads up on the right models, I'll do a search on Ebay and try and find something suitable, the 660's are Garmins ?
Regards.
Pope

Post by Pope »

stelyn wrote: Hi  RTman10, thanks for the heads up on the right models, I'll do a search on Ebay and try and find something suitable, the 660's are Garmins ?
Regards.
Yes, the 660 is a Garmin and is basically a Nav 4 and is still a great bit of kit.
Garage: 2016 BMW R1200RTLE Iconic #26, 2016 Ducati Diavel Titanium, 2015 Ninja H2 missile, 2013 BMW 640d Ragtop, 2014 VeeDub T5 180 Sportline
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I have a zumo 400 and a Nav IV that may be surpluss to requirement
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Main differences between the Nav IV and the 660 are. 660 had an audio out socket so you can plug it directly into something like an Autocom.  I think it also takes a normal SD card.  They also originally come with car adaptor kits and bike mounts.
The Nav IV takes a micro SD card but has no Audio out socket so you need bluetooth. Most also have a cradle with  buttons so you do not need the touch screen function for everything. No car kits as standard.
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Had a Garmin Zumo 660 https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the- ... 17259.html
for 4 years now without any problems, originally fitted to a 2010 RT, now transferred to a 2012 bike.

The BMW GPS Mounting Bracket is a nice piece of kit.

The set up is wired through an Autocom so that both rider & pillion get the navigation voice prompts.

Purchased the Lifetime Maps & needed a micro SD card for additional memory, https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod69976.html.

The "Audio Out" socket allows you to just plug in some simple in ear or helmet speakers via a jack plug.

Not too familiar with Bluetooth, but looks like it is compatible with wireless technology.

The kit came with car & bike mounts etc.
Last edited by David. on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Thanks DaygloDavid and all,  some useful info coming in didn't realise there were so many  differences,  I have the  2012 `Audio' RT ( with wheel )  and am using a Bluetooth Cardo Scala Q1 team set for comms,  thus a bit confused which set up/make,  Sat Nav will be best with the  Scala.      I'll also need a fitting support bracket  to mount whatever setup I get.    I guess I am just looking for  something easy to use  with European Maps
Don't want much do I,  !!!    8) 
Last edited by stelyn on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Having a audio unit fitted changes things a bit.  Your Scala will connect to both a IV and a 660 but only you will hear prompts.  If you wire an Autocom into the system both you and your pillion will hear it and on a IV you will have volume control on the wheel.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

RTman10,  in your opinion should I be looking at the Nav iv then  for ease of use and fitting ?
Thanks, Steve
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As the maps and functions are the same its a price thing really. There are probably more 660s on the market and as they originally came with more accessories they might be a better buy.
  The newer you can find the better. Came across someone today with a 5 year old 660 who was having problems getting all the maps in.  Just make sure you get one with lifetime updates activated.
  If you find quite a new one the warranty on a 660 is 12 months and 2 years on Nav IV, with original receipts.
The Nav IV with its cradle will of course talk to you through your speakers, the 660 probably wont.