Nav V

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Maz12

Nav V

Post by Maz12 »

I've noticed on my dealers/bmw web site that you can buy the nav V with European maps for £610 or with no mapping for £475..
Does that mean if you already have  say,  a zumo 550/660 with garmin express you could buy the cheap nav V option then put your existing maps on it with garmin express ?  wishful thinking?
guest2360

Re: Nav V

Post by guest2360 »

Dont buy the no map option.  They are a nightmare.  You would have to buy full European mapping from Garmin at full lifetime update rate.  Iv yet to meet anybody who has got one to work as well as a pre loaded one.  Its just not worth the hassle.  You would be unable to use any existing map data you own.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
stever1

Post by stever1 »

Going by reports on other forums I would hold off buying a nav 5. Lots of problems.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

That's a shame,  could've saved £135
I've read some reports of the nav V loosing satalite fix occasionally but nothing much else?
I'm wondering how many more functions work via the 14 controller and nav V that I won't get with my current nav IV
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

stever1 wrote: Going by reports on other forums I would hold off buying a nav 5. Lots of problems.
Had my Nav V since February. Worked all over Europe faultlessly. You get the same functions with the magic wheel as you get with the IV.  Most of the time though its quicker just to hit the screen. The screen brightness and charity of the V is far superior to the IV/660 and voice prompts are better.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

I have also used the NAV-V since  April, and have no issues at all.
The only thing is that the audio out is muted the first time you switch on the unit - Press the "Speak" function - and all is well.

Works weary well - also the traffic info/ weather etc by the cellphone link is working perfect.

I will not switch back to the NAV-4  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

STeinar wrote: I have also used the NAV-V since  April, and have no issues at all.
The only thing is that the audio out is muted the first time you switch on the unit - Press the "Speak" function - and all is well.

Works weary well - also the traffic info/ weather etc by the cellphone link is working perfect.

My audio is the same.  Just tap the symbol and it talks. I have always listened to it via my Ks speakers/Autocom. It will be interesting to see if it does the same when I connect using an Autocom BT dongle. Garmin suggested doing a master reset to clear the mute.  I can't be bothered as you loose all your stored routes. Maybe try it in the winter.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Do you think bmw will eventually give the RT/nav IV  the same functions they gave on the GSWC
ie.  much more info about the bike on the nav iv screen
Surely it only needs a update for it to work on the RT .?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Maz12 wrote: Do you think bmw will eventually give the RT/nav IV  the same functions they gave on the GSWC
ie.  much more info about the bike on the nav iv screen
Surely it only needs a update for it to work on the RT .?
You never know. The RT is more K1600 than GS in its instrument departments and they dont have any of the GS extras so I shouldn't hold your breath. 
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Shame,  it'd be nice to have the features the GS has on the nav iv
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

stever1 wrote: Going by reports on other forums I would hold off buying a nav 5. Lots of problems.
Had mine from new, no problems at all.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Is it worth upgrading to the nav v if I already have the nav iv ?
Is it miles better or would I be better saving my money and hanging on to the iv ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The screen is a lot brighter and I think the prompts are clearer and better. If its £600 better is debateable. 
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

RTman10 wrote: The screen is a lot brighter and I think the prompts are clearer and better. If its £600 better is debateable.
Luckily mine was free when I bought the bike last year.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

STeinar wrote: I have also used the NAV-V since  April, and have no issues at all.

Mine did the same. I had to hit the Speak button on switch on every time.  Since its been mounted on the RT and connected via Bluetooth it works straight way.