Nav V

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav V

Post by David. »

If you do update your maps & use BaseCamp on your PC, update both your Device & PC.

Having the same version of maps saves a load of chew.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: If you do update your maps & use BaseCamp on your PC, update both your Device & PC.

Having the same version of maps saves a load of chew.
Now I'm a bit confused.  Surely BaseCamp always uses the detailed maps that are in the unit you plug in. Open BaseCamp  with no GPS attached and there are only base maps there. It is on mine anyway.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My experience is that yes, when the GPS is connected to the PC (BaseCamp), the PC (BaseCamp) shares the maps from the GPS, agreed.

However, if you are working with the PC (BaseCamp) alone, unless you have the same maps installed, you will probably only have the Global (Base) Maps.

Having checked my PC (BaseCamp), I have 2014.40, 2015.20 (same as GPS) & Global Maps installed, the GPS only has 2015.20.

I know it sounds a bit confusing, but from what I can remember, the trick is when using Garmin Express to update your GPS Maps, I think there is an "other option" button which allows you to update both the GPS & PC, have a look next time you are updating your maps.

It's difficult to explain, but it works.

If all else fails, I can revert back to MapSource with 2015.20 maps.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you still have Mapsourse installed in your PC and you don't plug in your GPS when you open BaseCamp it will default to Mapsourse.  Mapsourse is no longer supported by Garmin so is affectedly dead.  Sad really, I found it better than BaseCamp. 
Are you still with us Stelyn
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Without the GPS connected to my PC, I can open MapSource & BaseCamp individually & both at the same time with separate windows, there is no cross fertilisation,
(am I allowed to say that on here).

Yes, MapSource is no longer supported by Garmin, but I can still use it if I want to, then transfer routes to my GPS.

BaseCamp took some getting use to & I now use it most, if not all of the time.

Occasionally, it is helpful to have both.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

DaygloDavid & RTman10 you two are proving to be the `real wizards'  here.    A minefield of info.  I guess I was after establishing as to whether or not the BMW  Nav  iv provides the `LM' free updates , having sourced  both a  660  &  Nav iv  for sale at close prices -  and  trying to decide which one to go for,  both seem to have their `pro's & cons.    Perhaps I should stick to the `Map Book'.    My `brain' hurts now  -  must be time for a `liquid refreshment', methinks a large  scotch maybe.....    :thinking:

Don't suppose you two have any ideas on next weeks Lottery Numbers by any chance........
Last edited by stelyn on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If in doubt about your choice, ring Garmin for Free on 0808 238 0000, at the end of the day, they may hold the keys & be able to help you decide.

Having looked at another Forum, this link was posted as a place to buy Garmin from:- http://www.globalgps.co.uk/folder-191-motorcycle-gps

Obviously, I don't know how it compares with what you have sourced & not my recommendation.
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

One of the problems you will have , unless you opt for a 660 is that there is now no new Garmin that will fit on the RT cradle.  The Nav IV was an adapted 660 but there is no Garmin clone of the V.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Garmin Zumo 660 Mount With Integrated Power Cable, bolts directly to the BMW GPS Bracket.

Looks like the BMW Nav. IV Mount will do the same, it's a version of the Garmin one with the auxiliary buttons.

If you are going to use the BMW GPS Bracket (pictured), then presumably, whichever GPS you purchase will come with the appropriate mount.

BMW Nav. V Mount.

Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The problem is BMW are going to GPS mounts built into the bike more and more.  First it was the 1600s and now the RT.  The only GPS now made that will fit directly into both these models is the Nav V.  If you want to use any other make you have to perform some serious butchering. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When test riding a 2014 LC, we tried both a BMW Nav. IV & a Garmin Zumo 660 into the mount, they both fitted.

The BMW Dealer also confirmed that had I bought an LC, my 660 would fit & be powered off the bike but the comms. wouldn't work, don't know if this is the same with the Nav. IV.
If the GPS can be powered, then surely Bluetooth could be used for the comms.

"The Nav. V has the same external housing dimensions as Nav. IV."

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_ ... 36778-p-44
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

DaygloDavid wrote: When test riding a 2014 LC, we tried both a BMW Nav. IV & a Garmin Zumo 660 into the mount, they both fitted.

The BMW Dealer also confirmed that had I bought an LC, my 660 would fit & be powered off the bike but the comms. wouldn't work, don't know if this is the same with the Nav. IV.
If the GPS can be powered, then surely Bluetooth could be used for the comms.

"The Nav. V has the same external housing dimensions as Nav. IV."

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_ ... 36778-p-44
The BMW cradle with the buttons fit the Nav IV/V and the 660 although the buttons don't work with the 660 and the audio out socket is covered up. But as the 660 and the Nav IV are out of oroduction  the only option now available for the RT is the Nav V,  unless you buy  second hand.  Neither the Nav IV or V have an audio out socket and rely on Bluetooth for prompts. The exception is if you have an Alpine audio system as you can  hard wire into that.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Garmin GPS for Motorcycles, https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/cOnTheR ... es-p1.html

The 660 has Bluetooth, which can be used with an Autocom system & probably some helmet headsets.

The 590 has a 5" Screen, same as the Nav. V, won't fit the LC but I'd be surprised if it can't be used with the Twin Cam bracket & mount,

or

this bracket, when fitted to an LC, allows you to use all Garmin & BMW Devices, http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_ ... 012-p-3546

Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:My experience is that yes, when the GPS is connected to the PC (BaseCamp), the PC (BaseCamp) shares the maps from the GPS, agreed.

However, if you are working with the PC (BaseCamp) alone, unless you have the same maps installed, you will probably only have the Global (Base) Maps.
This video may help explain how to install the same maps on your Device & PC, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqOjcoPRdDM

Last edited by David. on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DaygloDavid wrote:I know it sounds a bit confusing, but from what I can remember, the trick is when using Garmin Express to update your GPS Maps, I think there is an "other option" button which allows you to update both the GPS & PC, have a look next time you are updating your maps.

It's difficult to explain, but it works.
How do I install the maps to my computer with Garmin Express?

http://support.garmin.com/support/searc ... ame=garmin

• Click on Advanced Options

• Click the drop down menu and select Device & Computer
Last edited by David. on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.