Tools for valve timing an valve clearance

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
STeinar

Tools for valve timing an valve clearance

Post by STeinar »

Just ordered my new tools - to the total price of € 162.66 from http://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/

From what I find on the net - there are more LC with wrong valve timing then wrong valve clearance ?

Will be nice to have a check done  ^-^
Attachments
valvetools_zps00d2c6ab.jpg
Levisp

Re: Tools for valve timing an valve clearance

Post by Levisp »

Lets us know how you get on. I did my valve check a few months ago ( at 12 K ) and all was good but did not have the tools to check valve timing. I'm presuming on such a low milage that the timing should still be spot on.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Nice little Video, BMW R1200RT/GS wethead valve check procedure and spark plug change, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJEjGm8ne1g

Don't see why the CamShafts aren't marked for TDC, rather than use a straw.

How can the Valve Timing be incorrect & how is it adjusted.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

To find TDC you rotate the engine until the cam lobes are facing outwards and the two flats on the end of the cams are aligned. Each cam has a sprocket on the end which drives the cam. These sprockets are attached to their cams with a bolt. If the cam bolt is loosened then the position of the cam relative to sprocket can be altered. This changes cam timing. Unless you have the special BMW tools on no account should these bolts ever be loosened. The BMW tools allow you to locate TDC via the flywheel. Then the cam alignment is check with a tool that slips onto the ends of the cam. If it fits the cam timing is good. If it doesn't then the two bolts are loosened the tool is slipped onto the ends of the cams to align them and the bolts then tightened.

Locating TDC using the flats method is presuming that the alignment of the cams was set correctly by the factory.
Last edited by Levisp on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Thanks for your replies, I can now see from these two photos how the Valve Timing is checked & what it should look like when adjusted correctly.

Jig doesn't fit

Proper cam timing

As the Cams have to be removed if any Shims need to be replaced (Valve Clearance Adjustment),
I wonder if the Dealers use the Jig (Valve Timing Tool) when replacing the Cams to check the Valve Timing.

Cams removed
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Here is so information on Cam Timing and valve measurements.

I have personally done these bikes and know this information to be correct and as accurate as possible.

Left side camshafts - minimal adjustment.  Really a small bit out but adjusted into spec.
Right side camshafts - no adjustment needed

Interesting Valve measurements at 1600 miles  Exhaust are at the lowest tolerance!

Left side
Intake - Front 0.15, Rear 0.14
Exhaust - Front 0.35, Rear 0.34

Right side
Intake - Front 0.12, Rear 0.14
Exhaust - Front 0.34, Rear 0.35

Cam Lobes felt fine.

TDC tool buried itself in this flywheel.  I mean it went to the end of travel on the TDC tool.  There was no doubt of the click and TDC on this bike.

So the Recap:
15 RT 12,000 miles, Left off real bad, right off also. Cam sensor on.
16 GS 12,000 miles, Right side off pretty well and left side off. Cam sensor way out. Adjusted
16 RT 6000 miles, Right dead on, Left off. Cam sensor on.
16 RT 12,000 miles, Dead on both sides. Cam sensor on.
15 GSA 12,000 Miles, Dead on both sides. Cam sensor on.
14 RT 18,000 Miles , Dead on both sides. Cam sensors on.
14 RT 13,000 Miles, Dead on both sides. Cam sensor on.
15 RT 87,000 Miles, Dead on both sides. Cam sensor was off. Adjusted
16 GSA 1,688 Miles Right dead on.  Left off ever so slightly, Adjusted.  Cam Position Sensor on.