Tank Bag Options

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Brian729

Tank Bag Options

Post by Brian729 »

This is probably the 1000th post on tank bags, sorry. I recently purchase a 2011 R1200RT. I bought an Oxford top box and had it painted to match and I am pretty happy with that. I also added a voltage indicator / USB charger that I am happy with, and added the cable for my heated jacket and gloves. I've been using it to commute and love it. I've enjoyed a couple of long weekend rides as well.
I have two magnetic tank bags, and i see some people have recommended them, but they clearly don't work on the bike with the plastic covers. So what is the next best substitute?
Thanks for your help!
OldKid

Re: Tank Bag Options

Post by OldKid »

Hi Brian, Congrats re the bike, sure you will have years of fun.  Assuming you mean the tank rails.  I love ‘em but guess you won’t be so endeared. Not sure if you have seen my posts re part ex’ing my 2010 RT but just so happens I’ll sadly soon have a redundant BMW bag in good nick designed specifically for the rails. I’ll post some piccies & info later in the week & let you know when I do, it wouldn’t suit everyone (some would say too big, others there are no side pockets or compartments) but has been great for me and rock solid on tank even fully loaded.
Brian729

Post by Brian729 »

Be sure to let me know when its available!
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Will do, will be towards end of week....
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I have a 2010 and I have the BMW tankbag but for daily use it is just too big for me. I just need something to put garage door opener and some items I might want to get to when riding without having to get off and open the panniers. I ended up finding a pretty beat up BMW tankbag that I sacrificed for the rail frame only to mount an alternate bag on. initially I actually mounted a Cortech tankbag to the base with small bolts but I didn't like the way it fit with my bar risers and was bigger than I wanted so I just went to a smaller bag. I ended up with a small Givi tankbag that I just attached with the straps around the mounting plate. It works quite well for my short trips and commuting and I could always switch to a different bag later or I use the BMW bag for longer multi-day trips when I want to carry more.

Attachments
IMG_2635.JPG
IMG_8606.JPG
IMG_4056.JPG
IMG_4057.JPG
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Brian729 wrote: Be sure to let me know when its available!

Hi Brian, sorry for the delay, have just posted bag in the 'for sale' section.  Just let me know if you are interested or have any queries.