Installed Servo Buddy to eliminate noisy exhaust valve

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
jordanv

Installed Servo Buddy to eliminate noisy exhaust valve

Post by jordanv »

[size=2px]I have 2019 R1250 RT with 16,800 miles. The exhaust valve stared make the loud noise on start up around 16K mile. To solve the issue, I tried lubricating flapper valve which lasted about 1-200 miles. Just installed a installed a Servo Buddy servo eliminator with the following results:[/size]
  • [size=2px]No change in mpg[/size]
  • [size=2px]Slight change in performance - Before the bike's acceleration would start to slow above 8K rpm - now it accelerates hard from 8K to the redline. Apparently, the flapper valve reduces exhaust flow at high rpm to reduce noise. [/size]
  • [size=2px]A little more noise: [/size]1) at Idle, 2) at low RPM and small throttle openings - Before it was whisper quiet, and 3) when using engine braking. 
  • [size=2px]Biggest difference is the reduction in exhaust braking [/size]

[size=2px]
[/size]
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Installed Servo Buddy to eliminate noisy exhaust valve

Post by Casbar »

Why didn't you just take it to your dealers and get them to replace the headers, the bike is under warranty. I agree the servo buddy is a solution, but it would probably have been better to do it with a new flap or just keep getting BMW to sort the flap until the warranty runs out, then go the servo buddy route.

I had two sets of headers on my 2014 and if the flap plays up on my 1250 BMW can sort
jordanv

Post by jordanv »

Frankly I did not want to hassle with BMW warranty administration. The service department said that noisy flapper would not be covered by BMW warranty - The valve had to seize. Based on researching the issue my valve would probable seize within the next year given I average 18K miles per year. I did not want to deal with the uncertainty/hassle of when the failure occurs, and then a chronic design issue after warranty.  If BMW had some kind of maintenance/lubrication procedure to prevent seizure I would stick with the flapper valve.       
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

jordanv wrote: Frankly I did not want to hassle with BMW warranty administration. The service department said that noisy flapper would not be covered by BMW warranty - The valve had to seize. Based on researching the issue my valve would probable seize within the next year given I average 18K miles per year. I did not want to deal with the uncertainty/hassle of when the failure occurs, and then a chronic design issue after warranty.  If BMW had some kind of maintenance/lubrication procedure to prevent seizure I would stick with the flapper valve.     

My first one had seized, the replacement one started to squeak 4 weeks before the end of the 2 year warranty. They tried the old "it needs to be seized" I told them to show me where in the specs it says the flap is supposed to squeak every time it operated and if they couldn't then they had better stop it seeking. 2 days later they agreed to change the headers again. 5 weeks later I traded the bike for a 1250, so will be following the same process if the flap starts to play up :)
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Have to agree with Casbar BMW should of sorted it doing it yourself is ok till BMW find out you have worked on the bike yourself then what happens to your warranty ?
jordanv

Post by jordanv »

No problem with BMW warranty - The servo motor and flapper valve cable connections are still on the bike. All I have to do is disconnect the servo buddy and reconnect the servo motor.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With the servo motor electrically disconnected, if a servo buddy isn't fitted, is there a warning light permanently displayed on the dash.
jordanv

Post by jordanv »

Yes there is a warning notice but it can be cleared with GS-911 - I don't think it will go away by itself. Some people eliminate the flapper valve movement by disconnecting the cables and keeping the motor connected. I would not recommend this except for just trying out a disconnected flapper valve. 
wethead

Post by wethead »

8)  interested
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
wethead

Post by wethead »

I am wondering:

Does the Servo-Buddy keeps the flapper open all the time, or does it just cancel the error message on the display?

I been told to wire the flapper opened if I want to experience the engine without it nudging around to influence exhaust

If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Servo Buddy replaces the exhaust flap servo unit (motor) to eliminate error codes and a warning light on the dash.

Providing the exhaust flap is free to move, the return spring should hold it full open.
jordanv wrote:The servo motor and flapper valve cable connections are still on the bike. All I have to do is disconnect the servo buddy and reconnect the servo motor.
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

For further info., a couple of videos which might be helpful. They are for an R1200GS but likely to be similar on an R1250RT.

Skutrnet Servo Buddy - Exhaust Servo Eliminator Install on BMW R1200 GS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpJ-6zpuWN0

Installing the Exhaust Valve Actuator on an R1200GS Adventure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJWxQVw88Qc
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wethead

Post by wethead »

@David, much obliged brother.