What did you do today?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Sullivj
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Sullivj »

Took the wheels off for a tyre change in advance of our 1st RT European Meeting.

£320 for the Road 6 GTs, plus fitting.
Attachments
IMG_9963.jpeg
IMG_9963.jpeg (365.97 KiB) Viewed 295 times
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 416 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Checked my front tyre today to see if I have enough tread to go out at the weekend!
IMG-20240510-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20240510-WA0001.jpeg (193.72 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Think I might have to give it a miss and wait for my tyre to turn up on Monday 😂
SimonD
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I've been meaning to sort the rusty centre stand since I got the bike - those springs have been putting me off!
Attachments
IMG_0976.jpeg
IMG_0976.jpeg (587.34 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Sullivj
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Nice work SimonD.

It’s on my To Do list. How did you get the springs on and off?
SimonD
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I just unbolted it to get it off then used a ratchet strap combined with a spring puller to get it back on.
I tried the washer trick but they kept falling out as I added more.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2019
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 97 times
Great Britain

Post by Glenn »

500 mile round trip to the Lake District and back this weekend, some very slow going, especially through Windermere, Bowness and Ambleside. Harekrishna monks in their Nissan GTR were at the top of the Kirkstone pass with 100 or so followers
Arends
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1200RT 2015
Has liked: 17 times
Ireland

Post by Arends »

First day trip with my partner, 270km.
ESA switched to firmer mode, after we found a dip in the road, when we both almost flew off our seats. And that was below 80 km/h.
Then I had my firs ride in the rain, and did my first filtering in the morning traffic.
It is the baby steps forward, but I am learning.
I am here to learn.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Just ordered the crap aire sticker, it was loads easier than the last time I did it in 2016. I think googly translate helped in a big way. ;)
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 208 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

In and out the garage changing the handle bar positions, driving me nuts :roll:
Needed to walk away and have a cuppa.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 922 times
Been liked: 245 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Revisited the Yamaha dealer again in Portsmouth. Just for a walk around and spotted a Niken GT. My wife said it was ugly, she's not into bikes these days but there is something about it I liked. Now the sales man knows me after the MT10 he loaned me that burnt out the ECU after 50 miles. Anyway he offered me a 2 hour test ride. No way was I turning that down. So off I went, getting some strange looks and looking at myself in shop fronts. First thing I noticed was how comfortable it was. After a while I forgot it has 2 wheels up front. By this time I was getting used to it. I headed to every roundabout I could find. I was going around the 2 or 3 times faster and faster. I now have to buy a new pair of jeans as I wore the left knee out. The bike is brilliant So stable. I would have liked the MT10 engine in it but saying that the MT09 isn't a slow bike nor is this. One let down was unlike 3 wheels scooter you have to put your feet down at stops
It may be a bike only its mother would love but as I said there is just something about it and of course it's different from the norm.
Would I buy one? Am in two minds. one half of me says yes please but the other half says an not sure. The thing is I've never wanted to standout and attrach attention and I don't think I could cope with people coming up to me and asking stupid questions all the time.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
SimonD
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

I've always fancied a Niken. They were getting pretty cheap last year.
Maintenance of that front end if used in bad weather looks like it could be challenging and it seems bit heavy for the MT-09 engine but apart from that it's a bike I'd love to have in the garage......alongside a GTS1000!
Arends
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1200RT 2015
Has liked: 17 times
Ireland

Post by Arends »

Puig touring screen came in the mail yesterday. Now it is the RT I've seen in all the reviews!

The test ride against slight breeze at 100kmph was effortless, helmet visor was open and I could hear the radio.
There was a bit of draft on my elbows, but I am still holding the bars like it was my Rally.

It was warm and humid afternoon, and the cheap 3D mesh seat cover definitely works when riding in (moto) jeans.
I am here to learn.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 922 times
Been liked: 245 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

SimonD wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:07 pm I've always fancied a Niken. They were getting pretty cheap last year.
Maintenance of that front end if used in bad weather looks like it could be challenging and it seems bit heavy for the MT-09 engine but apart from that it's a bike I'd love to have in the garage......alongside a GTS1000!
Nearly bought a GTS1000. My mate had one and the only minus was the front was a tad heavy at walking speed but made a brilliant tourer
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Elkinell
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by Elkinell »

Doctor T wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:51 pm Revisited the Yamaha dealer again in Portsmouth. Just for a walk around and spotted a Niken GT. My wife said it was ugly, she's not into bikes these days but there is something about it I liked. Now the sales man knows me after the MT10 he loaned me that burnt out the ECU after 50 miles. Anyway he offered me a 2 hour test ride. No way was I turning that down. So off I went, getting some strange looks and looking at myself in shop fronts. First thing I noticed was how comfortable it was. After a while I forgot it has 2 wheels up front. By this time I was getting used to it. I headed to every roundabout I could find. I was going around the 2 or 3 times faster and faster. I now have to buy a new pair of jeans as I wore the left knee out. The bike is brilliant So stable. I would have liked the MT10 engine in it but saying that the MT09 isn't a slow bike nor is this. One let down was unlike 3 wheels scooter you have to put your feet down at stops
It may be a bike only its mother would love but as I said there is just something about it and of course it's different from the norm.
Would I buy one? Am in two minds. one half of me says yes please but the other half says an not sure. The thing is I've never wanted to standout and attrach attention and I don't think I could cope with people coming up to me and asking stupid questions all the time.
With this bike dividing opinions and being such a marmite vehicle, you's think the dealers would be keen to move them on and price them accordingly or are they just waiting for the biking world to catch up? I bet if you wandered in on xmas eve with a carrier bag full of fifties they'd come round a bit.
The Yam GTS is starting to appear on the bay at quite reasonable prices these days as owners are thinning their bikes down as you do when you start getting on a bit, or is it that we have become used to buying bikes at silly prices because life is too short to watch your ISA not bringing you the same joy as that bike you wished you'd never sold?
SimonD
Great Britain

Post by SimonD »

The GTS has always interested me - I seem to remember Flitwick Motorcycles entering one in to the TT at the time.
A nice tidy one with the oe Krauser pannier option would be nice. It was aways a shame that it was chain drive and had a seriously detuned motor. One or the other might have made sense but not both.