Post by Steve398 »

You live and learn, well I do…

Wierpig
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Re: Touring in the EU, unusual signs

Post by Wierpig »

Despite many thousands of miles on French roads, I have never seen priorite a droite in action, despite seeing the signs.Ill continue to look.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 276 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I lived there for a while and never saw it, but as they say “my dog never bites” is sometimes followed by “He’s never done that before!” :lol:
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 225 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Good post Steve,buggered if I've ever seen that in action(not that I ever knew about it)I will duly take note.
I'm in France at the moment(non bike week away)so will have a look for it while out today :thumb:
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 946 times
Been liked: 253 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Seen the yellow sign but never the"X" sign. Are the "X" signs the older type?
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Arends
Bike Model and Year: BMW R1200RT 2015
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 2 times
Ireland

Post by Arends »

Not in France, but in the Czech Republic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_lim ... h_Republic
The yellow square signs are in residential areas (villages and towns), that have by default speed limit 50kmph.
The cross or crossing with main road stated are used outside such residential areas, where the speed limit is by default 90kmph.

This was confusing for me when I came to Ireland - there are no "default" speed limits in towns and villages, everything is governed by road sign with a speed limit.

From my travels through northern France, the yellow "main road" sign is very common. Only the difference of speed limits outside residential areas can be confusing, it changes from one municipality to another.
I am here to learn.
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

News to me also, seen them, but never been tripped up by them. I guess in practise the yellow box won't matter as you have right of way, but the line through it, and the cross are both one to look out for even if the locals don't really follow them - it just takes one........... :shock:
BoB21
Bike Model and Year: 2017
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Supose more prevalent for Harleys and thier brakes.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

Driving in Europe can be a minefield. Whilst I was serving in Germany in the army we had to take a European highway code test, even when visiting from the UK I was still required to take the test. Have a look at this site, https://bfgnet.de/matrix-test scroll to the bottom of the page and you can click to take the matrix test. Create new user and away you go. There are the equivalent of the highway code that you can read prior to take the test. Roundabouts are interesting to say the least! If you opt to take the European test as opposed to the French one it doesn't state which country you are in when taking the test.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Only driven around the Arc de Triomphe rond point once and that was one too many. Busy as hell and absolutely bonkers. Priorite a droit applies which means you should give way to joining traffic as you go round, hopefully anti clockwise. Unfortunately, we joined at the 6 o clock position and needed to get off on the 10 o clock exit, so 7 or 8 access/exits to negotiate. Every other roundabout I've been around in France is give way to traffic already on it, ie from the left. Also nearly came a cropper in Honfleur a few years ago. Mate driving, upcoming junction with the black cross. I didn't realise that he didn't know what it meant and we ended up about 2 inches away from the other's left hand door.
Chris