R1200RT Mods

General discussion of the BMW R 1200/1250RT
Post Reply
MisterB
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:33 am

R1200RT Mods

Post by MisterB »

Hi all,


I'm about to move from an 07 R1200GS to an 11 R1200RT :-) Are there any mods you guys think are essential or really worth doing to the RT please?
guest2360

Re: R1200RT Mods

Post by guest2360 »

On mine I fitted the OEM engine protectors and the impact protectors for the pannier lids.  The lids are £250 a time, the plastic/rubber protectors I remember were about £50. Also swapped to a one piece comfort seat again BMW .  Some like covering the tops of the pannier lids with clear plastic. I never did as it looks ugly and its not difficult not to kick them. You could also fit a fender extender.
User avatar
Maz12
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 am

Re: R1200RT Mods

Post by Maz12 »

RTman10 wrote: On mine I fitted the OEM engine protectors and the impact protectors for the pannier lids.  The lids are £250 a time, the plastic/rubber protectors I remember were about £50. Also swapped to a one piece comfort seat again BMW .  Some like covering the tops of the pannier lids with clear plastic. I never did as it looks ugly and its not difficult not to kick them. You could also fit a fender extender.
Plus 1 for the comfort seat (which I happen to have going spare)  and the fender extender too,  I also had the pannier impact protectors which are ok but don't stop the pannier getting scratched if you lay the bike down ( as I found out)
Last edited by Maz12 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterB
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:33 am

Re: R1200RT Mods

Post by MisterB »

Is the comfort seat in 2 parts or a single unit? I would have thought a bike designed as a long distance tourer would have had a comfortable seat but clearly not!
User avatar
Maz12
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 am

Re: R1200RT Mods

Post by Maz12 »

The comfort seat is a single piece,  it sits a little lower than stock but is a bit wider
guest2360

Re: R1200RT Mods

Post by guest2360 »

Maz12 wrote: The comfort seat is a single piece,  it sits a little lower than stock but is a bit wider
Its 775mm high but much wider for the pillion.  Wife insisted it was the most comfortable seat she had ever had.  Height is unadjustable as you have to remove the bits on the bike that make the two piece adjust. Best mod you can get though if you find the stock seat uncomfortable, most don't.
User avatar
beemerbaz
Posts: 220
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:55 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Re: R1200RT Mods

Post by beemerbaz »

RTman10 wrote: Its 775mm high but much wider for the pillion.  Wife insisted it was the most comfortable seat she had ever had.  Height is unadjustable as you have to remove the bits on the bike that make the two piece adjust. Best mod you can get though if you find the stock seat uncomfortable, most don't.
I have the comfort seat and love it for it's support on the lower back. That said, no mater what you sit on after a time it will still feel like concrete. I did 1000 miles in 2 days returning from Austria and was glad to get off.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
chrismckay
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:32 am

Re: R1200RT Mods

Post by chrismckay »

I also have the comfort seat which I like, inner bags for the panniers is also convenient....
Wierpig
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:31 pm
Location: Somewhere else
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: R1200RT Mods

Post by Wierpig »

I would say a footrest lowering kit and Wilbers wesa if you have ESA.The standard shocks are so crude in comparison.I have some for sale as off to LC  8)
Post Reply