8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio and Bluetooth?
User avatar
David.
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 145 times
Great Britain

8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by David. »

See Ride Mag. article for details:- http://autocom.co.uk/pdf/RiDE.pdf
guest2360

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by guest2360 »

The thing to remember about every one of the units tested, none are fully compatible with the Alpine audio unit fitted on the RT. Only the BMW system will fully connect with two helmets but in my opinion is still a flawed system and very expensive. The Autocom will work if directly wired to the unit. If you do that the Bluetooth unit is only required for the phone when set on auto-answer. The unit will however allow connection with a GPS for prompts, music and phone to both rider and pillion if you do not have an audio unit. The SPA unit tested though is a very tight fit. The Logic model is much smaller and much cheaper.       
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: The thing to remember about every one of the units tested, none are fully compatible with the Alpine audio unit fitted on the RT. Only the BMW system will fully connect with two helmets but in my opinion is still a flawed system and very expensive. The Autocom will work if directly wired to the unit. If you do that the Bluetooth unit is only required for the phone when set on auto-answer. The unit will however allow connection with a GPS for prompts, music and phone to both rider and pillion if you do not have an audio unit. The SPA unit tested though is a very tight fit. The Logic model is much smaller and much cheaper.     

Totally agree with what RTman says.  I have both BMW bluetooth (which I actually thing works better than most BT systems that I've tried before, though I don't use it for rider-pillion).  It is very expensive though - especially because you need a BMW helmet to put it in!


I have the Autocom Logic system, which fits neatly under the top-box rack.  I even managed to squeeze a 2-way radio in there too...
mercator1
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by mercator1 »

Glad to see the Sena unit that I currently have performed well, as I plan to upgrade to RTLC shortly.
guest2360

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by guest2360 »

mercator1 wrote: Glad to see the Sena unit that I currently have performed well, as I plan to upgrade to RTLC shortly.

Just remember if you get one with the audio unit fitted the Sena will only properly work with one headset only.

.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by richardbd »

mercator1 wrote: Glad to see the Sena unit that I currently have performed well, as I plan to upgrade to RTLC shortly.

It won't work properly on the RTLC if it has audio fitted...


:( :( :-\ :-\
User avatar
Maz12
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 am

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by Maz12 »

I've just purchased a system 6 evo and had the BMW Bluetooth fitted,  I also have a Nav V and the audio system on my RT.
On the ride home from the dealers everything worked fine, apart from loosing sound in the left ear..  I traced this to the audio interface lead that connects my iPod to the audio system.
When I got home I messed about with the new lid/Bluetooth trying to pair various stuff to see how it works, and this is the set up I'm going to use for a while...
Nav V paired to the helmet,  phone (galaxy note 4) paired to the helmet
I installed a App on the phone called.  eCID. which converts text to speech (among other things). If  I receive a text message it ask if I want it to read it...  If I say. YES  into the helmet Mike it reads the text then asks if I wish to reply...  If I say YES then speak my reply it sends it as a text.
If I receive a call it asks if I wish to answer and tells me who's calling (if they're in my phone book) and you can say yes or no
I can listen to the music on the satnav too which is what I wanted in the 1st place
I'm not saying I will use this set up all the time as I have the audio on the bike but the times when I forget my iPod I will have another option
Last edited by Maz12 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by richardbd »

Maz12 wrote: I've just purchased a system 6 evo and had the BMW Bluetooth fitted,  I also have a Nav V and the audio system on my RT.
On the ride home from the dealers everything worked fine, apart from loosing sound in the left ear..  I traced this to the audio interface lead that connects my iPod to the audio system.
When I got home I messed about with the new lid/Bluetooth trying to pair various stuff to see how it works, and this is the set up I'm going to use for a while...
Nav V paired to the helmet,  phone (galaxy note 4) paired to the helmet
I installed a App on the phone called.  eCID. which converts text to speech (among other things). If  I receive a text message it ask if I want it to read it...  If I say. YES  into the helmet Mike it reads the text then asks if I wish to reply...  If I say YES then speak my reply it sends it as a text.
If I receive a call it asks if I wish to answer and tells me who's calling (if they're in my phone book) and you can say yes or no
I can listen to the music on the satnav too which is what I wanted in the 1st place
I'm not saying I will use this set up all the time as I have the audio on the bike but the times when I forget my iPod I will have another option

This all sounds excellent Maz.  One question - when you were trying stuff at home did you have the bike running?  I seem to remember that everything worked like a dream when I connected my Schuberth SRC system to the Nav 5 etc, right up to the point when I started the engine and then the BMW audio system overrode everything...
JWBMWRT
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by JWBMWRT »

Brand new to the game.  Just came off a Wing with com.  Looking for advise.  Appreciate the assistance in advance.  Seeking a Bluetooth recommendation.  I do not have Nav V.  Looking to communicate with pillow (I listen, she talks!) as well as to listen to music via RT FM/Sirius and use the functionality of the multi-controller.  Sena seems to be common answer but then again many references to BMW devices only allow full functionality. 
guest2360

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by guest2360 »

If you have an LC with the Alpine audio unit installed the unit has 2 bluetooth connections built in.  They are identified as Helmet 1 and helmet 2 in the BT menu.  Nearly all Bluetooth headsets will connect to either one of these but never to both at the same time. Only the BMW Bluetooth headsets will fully connect and in my humble opinion it leaves a lot to be desired for the money.  Many of us bypass the system with a wired system connected to the audio unit. Much cheaper, no pairing bugs, no power limitations and  far higher quality sound.  Lots wont agree with me but I've tried and tested the lot and always gone back to a wired system.
JWBMWRT
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by JWBMWRT »

Appreciate the response.  Please clarify the following.  I do have helmet 1 and helmet 2 in the BT menu.  What do you mean (as I have seen several make a similar comment) "nearly all BT headsets will connect to either one of these but never to both at the same time".  Will my pillow and I be able to talk to each other and listen to FM/Sirius?  Will the multi-controller functionality work with a Sena?  Again, appreciate any direction. 
guest2360

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by guest2360 »

Pairing the two helmets wont be a problem, but.  If you have GPS that will only pair to one helmet. What you can get from the bike/alpine unit is the problem. One of you and only one of you will be able to pair your headset to the unit.  This gives you control of the volume from either the radio or whatever music source to connect to it..  It is not possible to get more than one headset to connect to the audio unit except the BMW one. Even with the BMW units the volume control from the wheel will only work with one  helmet. 
User avatar
Maz12
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:38 am

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by Maz12 »

richardbd wrote:
This all sounds excellent Maz.  One question - when you were trying stuff at home did you have the bike running?  I seem to remember that everything worked like a dream when I connected my Schuberth SRC system to the Nav 5 etc, right up to the point when I started the engine and then the BMW audio system overrode everything...
I've not tried it on the bike yet so not sure what will happen,  but can't I turn the BMW audio system off ?
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by richardbd »

Maz12 wrote: I've not tried it on the bike yet so not sure what will happen,  but can't I turn the BMW audio system off ?

If I remember correctly, the Nav5 can tell that there's an audio unit on the bike and it stops the MP3 player in the Nav5 operating...
guest2360

Re: 8 Bluetooth Headsets Tested

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote:
If I remember correctly, the Nav5 can tell that there's an audio unit on the bike and it stops the MP3 player in the Nav5 operating...

That's correct, and there is no way round it. 
Post Reply