Hi

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Wilburbrooks

Hi

Post by Wilburbrooks »

Well  I  have  been  lurking around this site since December and I have to say that I am enjoying reading about everybody's experience with what I think is one of the best bikes around.
About me, I have been a BMW person since 2011, not long I know. I started with a R1150 GSA and travelled east to west of Australia  and I north to south. It was a great bike however I was not going off road so I decided the BMW R1200 RT 2012 was better for me.
I bough it last year and have travelled over 20 000 klm. Longest trip so far is from Wagga to Ayers Rock and back with trips from Wagga to Brisbane.
I love that the bike can cover big klms and then be able to keep up with sports bikes in the twisty bits.
Every time I ride this bike it puts a great big smile on my face.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Wilburbrooks on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
stelyn

Re: Hi

Post by stelyn »

Hi Wilburbrooks, welcome to the fold, enjoy your new Bike and this Forum,  see you managed to secure a rare an exclusive faster Blue one ...... ;)
Last edited by stelyn on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Wilburbrooks

Post by Wilburbrooks »

Just worked out how to post on tapatalk. It is the faster Blue one.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Wilburbrooks wrote: Just worked out how to post on tapatalk. It is the faster Blue one.

Almost fast as the grey ones...
stelyn

Post by stelyn »

Have had two  Graphite `Grey' Bikes over the past 4 yrs and due to the recent  influx of `Kamikaze flies'  down here in sunny Kent,  clearly attracted to `Grey',  decided this time,  when changing bikes to opt for a darker colour,  ie,  the `Blue'  -  ( the faster Blue  that is .. )  as the little shites don't show up so easy on the panels !!!      :not speak:
Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the car window
Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Welcome Wilbur nice bike. You answered a question that I posed myself whilst flying from Sydney to Ayres Rock and onwards to Port Douglas looking out the window was does anybody ride west to east or visa versa  :beer:  I salute you. You must be a top mechanic or riding with one cos RAC or your equivalent would not be rushing out to you. You must have ridden huge distances before you reached any populated areas. All I could see from the plane was desert, where did you get your fuel from and harbour-up. Hey come to think of it you may want to contribute to the thread on what I carry on the bike (I think that's what it's called) when making long journeys.

Good to have you on board  :vader:
Wilburbrooks

Post by Wilburbrooks »

You really only get remote when you leave Port Augusta. From there weather your going North to Ayres Rock or west to perth there are fuel stops about every 250klms.  The bike loaded will get over 440klm no worries.
For accomodation on my over to perth and back we would just stop in free camping spots and do boiled meals. As for the trip to Ayers Rock we stayed in accomodation. The biggest day on that trip was from Cooper Pedy to Ayers Rock. Was a big day and especialy when it was around 45C.
I have not changed the bike to much from standard other than some more front light and crash bars, got to watch out for roos. I am an aircraft mechanic so I am not to fased if anything goes wrong and there is always BMW roadside assist.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Spencert231

Post by Spencert231 »

Hey Wilbur the thread I was referring to was Essential Kit List maybe you would like to contribute. Parachute included  :enjoying: