Switchgear campaign

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Catfunt

Switchgear campaign

Post by Catfunt »

I took my 2013 Camhead into Cannons at Braintree this morning for switchgear testing and replacement. I had reported several instances of the left hand cluster having issues especially in the recent warmer weather. In particular the screen switch acted up and the cruise control occasionally failed to actuate -both requiring several on-off pushes. Cannons opted to replace both left and right hand switchgear as part of the ongoing 'technical campaign'.

In total it took about two hours so I took the opportunity to visit the Cellar Cafe (about 5 mins walk from Cannons) where I indulged in the 'Mega' breakfast which lived up to its name. Well recommended if you need to kill a few hours waiting for service work and you don't mind cholesterol!

On completion of the work I noticed a very subtle but positive difference in the switchgear. The new ones have a more definite action especially the indicator switch which I have always found a bit solid. Now it has a more pronounced 'throw' when cancelling and moving it left to right etc. The info button is a bit more 'clicky' too.

One very minor gripe with the service is that the tyre pressure indicator was showing a low pressure warning when I turned the bike on. I couldn't for the life of me imagine why they had fiddled with the tyre pressures so I assumed the computer needed to somehow reset itself and I rode off with the display showing 32/37 psi. I honestly expected the display to increase to my normal 38/42 and the warning to disappear. However, at the first roundabout it was clear that the steering was definitely off. I only live about 20 mins from Cannons so I trundled home being extra careful - it wasn't dangerous at all just a bit vague. I'll wait for the tires to cool down and then re-inflate. As I say, a minor irritation to an otherwise good service experience.
[size=12px]
[/size]
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Switchgear campaign

Post by David. »

Had the RHS Switched changed recently on my 2012 Twin Cam whilst in Germany, (Stop/Start Button Failed).

If the Dealer in Kassel had the LHS Switch in stock, they would have changed both.

On return to the UK, it was confirmed that the campaign of changing both switches if one fails is still ongoing.

Booked the Bike in for a service etc. after our trip to Norway, the LHS switch will be replaced at this time.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catfunt

Re: Switchgear campaign

Post by Catfunt »

I popped into the garage this afternoon and reflated the tires to the correct pressures. I ran the bike up the street expecting the warning lamp to go out but it didn't so I connected the GS911. Discovered a bunch of fault codes which were presumably set during the switch exchange. Little bit surprised that the codes weren't reset by the dealer but hey ho, thats why I do most work on the bike myself :-)
---- 2013 R1200RT SE ----