An ode to the RT, I didnt know I would miss you as much as I have!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Allrover

An ode to the RT, I didnt know I would miss you as much as I have!

Post by Allrover »

I miss my RT!
Its Friday, I've not much to do at work, so thought I would share my tale...
My 2012 RT went in for its 24k service & a fix for the cruise control last Saturday, and later that day I got a call from the dealer saying it had some  extra ‘issues’ – the front pads had totally worn out, and it had been metal on metal on the front disc for some time. The front discs were worn below safe levels, and not only that the calipers had corroded so bad that the pistons where binding on too. (I know, everyone tut at me for not realising)

So, after I had turned down their offer of brand new BMW parts (£540 for the two front discs alone!  :shirty: ),I ordered some lightly used discs and calipers from Boonstra Parts in Holland (I can’t recommend these guys enough). The dealer were happy to fit the parts I sourced. Nice.

Now fair play to Williams Motorrad in Manchester, they’ve been ace, they’d already put me on a loan bike for the Saturday – I chose an R NineT, for a laugh as I thought I would only be on it for a day. It was mint, only 200 miles on the clock.

That bike was truly crap on my 70 round trip commute come Monday morning, uncomfy as all hell, stupid long sticky out wing mirrors making filtering harder on it than the RT! Truly ridiculous to make a bike that can do 100+mph yet let the wind blast be so intolerable you have to avoid going over 70 on it.  Pointless!  Its only redeeming feature was a lovely exhaust sound. I missed my RT.

Anyway, Williams let me swap to a different bike and keep it all this week whilst the parts arrived and they fitted them. They gave me an F800GT instead – perfectly reasonable bike, great fuel economy, lovely and narrow for filtering. I still missed my RT! The F800GT creates loads of wind noise at speed due to its teeny screen, and it’s fuel tank is the size of a gnats bladder.

So I want to raise a glass to RT’s everywhere - you are fun, comfortable, practical, nimble, and bad ass. There is no better way to know you own the right bike, than if you ride a couple of others and are desperate to get back on your own!

Hopefully I’ll get the call that the work is complete today and I can go and pick it up.

Oh and I want to praise Williams Motorrad in Manchester, who haven’t fussed about me keeping the loan bike all week, were happy to let me source my own parts, and have been a pleasure to deal with.

Have a great day everyone.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: An ode to the RT, I didnt know I would miss you as much as I have!

Post by Steve F »

Yes, agree with you on the RnineT and the F800GT. I've recently had both as loan bikes from my local dealer. The RnineT is an expensive 'toy', and I too didn't get on with it for commuting etc. As you say, why on earth did they make it like it is....??!! Mind you, I understand it has sold well, presumably with those who like to have a 'fun' other bike and are building up their neck muscles when out riding this retro look machine !! As regards the F800GT, yes, a good little bike, with emphasis on the little, because at 6' 2" I find it too small a frame to make it really enjoyable.
Anyway, here's hoping you get the trusty RT back soon...!! :)
Allrover

Re: An ode to the RT, I didnt know I would miss you as much as I have!

Post by Allrover »

Cheers - I'm off to pick it up on my way home tonight.
Absolutely, re the RNineT. I know its not designed to be in any way practical, its a pure 'fun' or 'lifestyle' bike designed for cruising round on a sunny weekend ride. Actually, its REALLY at its best when its just parked up in the sunshine, and you 're stood by it drinking coffee and watching the admiring glances from passers by! ha ha