Headlamp not working

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
chrismckay
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:32 am

Headlamp not working

Post by chrismckay »

Hello Guys,


On my 2012 R1200RT full beam and flash has stopped working.


There was no warning illuminated in the display area to indicate that a lamp was out.


I changed the bulb anyway, but its still not working.


Any thoughts or advice on finding the fault???


Chris....
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 7970
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 328 times
Great Britain

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by David. »

First thoughts are, could it be a faulty switch, they can & do go wrong.

Might be worth asking your local BMW Dealer to run a check on it.

Have had both LHS & RHS Handlebar Switches replaced on my 2012 Model.

Not sure if the BMW "Technical Campaign" of replacing faulty switches is still ongoing, it's worth asking the question.
Last edited by David. on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by guest2360 »

My understanding on switch replacement is that they are not covered by extended warranty but because they are a known problem they will be replaced FOC for the first 60 months from first registration. Replacing both when one fails depends on VIN No.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrismckay
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:32 am

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by chrismckay »

Thanks guys....I will book into dealership, kinda need the full beam now with the clocks going back!!!! :D
User avatar
moonie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:33 am

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by moonie »

Hi all, my first post as i am also a new BMW owner and I think i can help you with your question. I purchased a used 1200rt 2 months ago. When i visited my local dealer they checked my VIN and said there was a campaign on my bike to replace both the left and right side controllers. 2 weeks later when i went to start the bike, none of the switches on the left side worked, including the lights.

Same problems as you. Apparently if the campaign has not been fulfilled on the VIN in question, it doesn't expire and stays in effect until the bike is corrected, at least that's what the dealer parts department told me.

So call any dealer nationwide, and give them your VIN. within moments they can answer your question. As an FYI, the new controller on the left side has a horn button with a hooked end. SO if yours is flat across its surface, then you havent had them replaced and the campaign should still be in effect for your bike.

Good Luck!
The day my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
chrismckay
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:32 am

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by chrismckay »

moonie wrote: Hi all, my first post as i am also a new BMW owner and I think i can help you with your question. I purchased a used 1200rt 2 months ago. When i visited my local dealer they checked my VIN and said there was a campaign on my bike to replace both the left and right side controllers. 2 weeks later when i went to start the bike, none of the switches on the left side worked, including the lights.

Same problems as you. Apparently if the campaign has not been fulfilled on the VIN in question, it doesn't expire and stays in effect until the bike is corrected, at least that's what the dealer parts department told me.

So call any dealer nationwide, and give them your VIN. within moments they can answer your question. As an FYI, the new controller on the left side has a horn button with a hooked end. SO if yours is flat across its surface, then you havent had them replaced and the campaign should still be in effect for your bike.

Good Luck!


Moonie, thanks for the information, I will be contacting the local dealership today.... ^-^
chrismckay
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:32 am

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by chrismckay »

Hello Guys,


So I called the local dealership(Scotland) and explained the fault that I am having with the full beam and flash function. I also mentioned that I had been made aware from other owners that BMW has had a campaign of replacing these switches as an act of goodwill on post 2010 models due to the number of faults from customers.


The dealer said he was unaware of this and also did a check against the VIN number and said that there was no recalls or notes on the system to alert them of a problem. He said what they could do was to investigate the problem themselves and write a report to BMW about their findings and also the general condition and mileage and service history of the bike and ask them to provide a goodwill replacement.


So it would appear that it isnt an automatic replacement, but if they have replaced some out of goodwill surely they must replace all that lie within their guidelines??
guest2360

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by guest2360 »

Ring another dealer.  You have been told lies.  Alternatively get hold of BMW customer services.
User avatar
moonie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:33 am

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by moonie »

chrismckay wrote: Hello Guys,


So I called the local dealership(Scotland) and explained the fault that I am having with the full beam and flash function. I also mentioned that I had been made aware from other owners that BMW has had a campaign of replacing these switches as an act of goodwill on post 2010 models due to the number of faults from customers.


The dealer said he was unaware of this and also did a check against the VIN number and said that there was no recalls or notes on the system to alert them of a problem. He said what they could do was to investigate the problem themselves and write a report to BMW about their findings and also the general condition and mileage and service history of the bike and ask them to provide a goodwill replacement.


So it would appear that it isnt an automatic replacement, but if they have replaced some out of goodwill surely they must replace all that lie within their guidelines??
Call my dealer. SE Michigan BMW 734-981-1479. ask for John. Tell him you would like to know if there is a campaign for controller replacement on your 1200rt and give him the VIN. If you have the older style controller that are being  replaced, they will have a flat horn button, it hey have already been replaced or are the new style, the horn button has a hook on the left front portion.

Before the campaign was initiated, the dealers were telling the answer you received, but i believe that stopped in 2013.
The day my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 7970
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 328 times
Great Britain

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by David. »

In January 2015, I made some enquiries with BMW about replacing the Handlebar Switches on my 2012 Model, believing that "prevention is better than cure".

After ringing Cooper (Sunderland),Barrie Robson (York),Allan Jeffries (Baildon) & Roy Pidcock (Long Eaton),Colette at Roy Pidcock BMW (Warranty Dept.),confirmed.

"There is currently, (don't know for how much longer),a Service Campaign on the multi-function switches for 2009 - 2013 bikes.
If either of the two switches "presents an issue", both may be changed, if when diagnosed, one or other is proved to be faulty."

In July 2015, the RHS Switch failed when we were in Germany, leaving us stranded at The Eder Dam on a Sunday. BMW kindly paid for us to stay in a Hotel overlooking the Dam for the night, with a view to having the bike recovered to a BMW Dealer in Kassel the next day. Tried to start the bike on Monday morning & "Hey Presto", it started. The Recovery Guy turned up & it was agreed that we would ride to Kassel. The Dealer diagnosed & confirmed the RHS Switch to be the fault, this was duly changed & we were on our way again. The Dealer confirmed that had they had the LHS Switch "in stock", they would have changed both. On return to the UK, a local Dealer has confirmed that the LHS Switch will be change under a current campaign. Will book it in on our return from Norway when the bike will be due a service.

The LHS Switch was changed in August 2015 at Cooper (Sunderland).

At the time, my Bike was under a BMW Used Bike Warranty, don't know if this makes any difference or not.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
moonie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:33 am

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by moonie »

DaygloDavid wrote: In January 2015, I made some enquiries with BMW about replacing the Handlebar Switches on my 2012 Model, believing that "prevention is better than cure".



At the time, my Bike was under a BMW Used Bike Warranty, don't know if this makes any difference or not.
Actually I had called my dealer about the switches while i was having an issue with the left controller and had read about the campaign on this forum. Even though i bought it used from a local powersports dealer, they said it didn't matter. It applied to all bikes regardless of warranty and whether i was the first owner or the fifth.

So instead of me having to spend $400+ to fix a problem on a newly purchased used bike, I had my problem fixed for free, I felt very lucky!
The day my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 7970
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 328 times
Great Britain

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by David. »

The T&C's of any Warranties in the USA may be different to those in the UK (including Scotland).

Does a Bike in the USA have a 3 Year Warranty, in the UK, they only have 2 Years.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jackhd
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by jackhd »

Here in USA  Wisconsin  it is 3 years  or 36000 miles
guest2360

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by guest2360 »

BMW won't replace switches even if a bike has the ones which are known to fail until they do.  And then depending on your VIN you might get both changed even though only one has failed.  Switches are not covered by extended warranty. In the UK anyway. Over the pond is a different world
User avatar
moonie
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:33 am

Re: Headlamp not working

Post by moonie »

well, i certainly cant speak to any other countries warranties, but i can only speak to my situation. My dealer never even asked if i was the original owner or not, and they said they would have replaced the switches regardless of whether i was having an issue or not.,

So maybe it depends on the dealer and how they do business, but my impression was even if i had just brought it in for an oil change, they would have received an alert when they entered the info into the computer and would have replaced them no questions asked.

So maybe in the States its different. Or maybe i just have a FANTASTIC dealer! 8)
The day my ship comes in, I'll probably be at the airport.
Post Reply