Retrofit a 2012 Factory Audio System to a 2007 RT

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
hrbla

Retrofit a 2012 Factory Audio System to a 2007 RT

Post by hrbla »

Recently I bought few items off from eBay. Those seems to be components of the factory bluetooth audio system from a 2012 RT. I intend to retrofit my 2007 RT with those components.

Included in the package are the bluetooth receiver in the glove box plus wiring, the control panel with the left inner fairing, and the antenna. I believe to make the system functional, I might still need the multi-controller/wheel and a display console from a newer RT which has a few more LCD symbols.

I have a set of speakers which came with the bike (don't know why, but those speakers were just there but unhooked, since there isn't an audio system on my RT)

Is there anyone who had done this retrofit before? Any suggestions?  :-\
guest2360

Re: Retrofit a 2012 Factory Audio System to a 2007 RT

Post by guest2360 »

The switchgear on your bike is totally different to the post 2010 bikes so your wiring will not be compatible. On your bike there was a separate controller for all functions on the left handlebar and the 2007 audio unit did not have Bluetooth. Some bikes were built with what was called Audio prep.  This gave tie the antenna, speakers and the audio frame in the locker but not much else.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.