Potential new R1200RT owner

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
yellowjacket

Potential new R1200RT owner

Post by yellowjacket »

Hello forum members
I am a Louisiana senior citizen and a lifelong Harley rider. After my last 3000 mile jaunt I may be ready for a change. My best friend and long time Harley riding buddy made the switch last year to a K1600GTL. Wow is he happy and now I have the fever. Went on BMW a test ride and leaning toward a 2016 R1200RT. It will be hard to part with the Ultra Classic but I think it is time for a "MAJOR" change. The heavy HD is really starting to work on me. Any suggestions?
guest2360

Re: Potential new R1200RT owner

Post by guest2360 »

The GTL is nearly 100kg heavier than the RT but the standard seat is a little lower then the RT low seat, 650 as apposed to 660.  So for me its all down to your keg length. And of course if your strong enough to push a GTL out if the garage.  Having owned both I much prefer the RT.  Much smoother drive chain and more goodies like Pro shift.
The 1600 motor though is the tops.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

I go back and forth between HD and BMW. The RT is quite a bit lighter and has much better wind protection, but in Louisiana heat I'm not sure that's what you're looking for!

I wish I could have one of each, I like traveling on the RT but I also really enjoy rumbling along on a HD StreetGlide, or RoadKing.

I'd suggest taking as many long test rides as they will allow you until you know if it's going to be right for you. The RT on paper has more HP but isn't anywhere near the torque of the HD 103 V Twin. At 80 MPH it'll be turning around 4200 RPM and can seem buzzy while the HD Tourers are really loping along at that speed. They both have good points and the lighter weight might be the deciding factor for you. My last StreetGlide was just over 800 lbs wet while the RT is just Under 600 wet.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I switched from a 1200gs to a 1600gt three years ago, great bike but too heavy for my liking. After 22000 ticket free miles
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Same for me. RT then 3 years with a GTL then back to an RT.  Still miss the 1600 engine howl though.
hdtrader

Post by hdtrader »

yellowjacket wrote: Hello forum members
I am a Louisiana senior citizen and a lifelong Harley rider. After my last 3000 mile jaunt I may be ready for a change. My best friend and long time Harley riding buddy made the switch last year to a K1600GTL. Wow is he happy and now I have the fever. Went on BMW a test ride and leaning toward a 2016 R1200RT. It will be hard to part with the Ultra Classic but I think it is time for a "MAJOR" change. The heavy HD is really starting to work on me. Any suggestions?

Hello Yellowjacket...first off Roll Tide Roll!  Its going to be an exciting football weekend.  I too am a lifelong "senior" Harley Rider and recently moved from the Harley Touring Bike to a 2015 R1200RT.  I love the RT...much lighter and easier to handle as compared to the Harley.  It also runs much cooler too...I'm still learning the RT (terminology, operation, and maintenance) and don't miss my HD for touring.  However, I'm not a big fan of how the BMW pannier or saddlebag opens from the side...I seem to juggle the contents every time I open the side bags.  Outside of that the RT is an awesome bike and a blast to ride whether its urban streets, mountain roads or interstate highways...I love how the RT handles all types of road and weather conditions.  Go for it...I think you will like it...I did!

BTW...I'm averaging 54 mpg city/highway with the RT and see no problem getting 60 mpg on the open road.

Randy
Last edited by hdtrader on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackhd

Post by jackhd »

I owned a 1982 R80RT for 21 years.  Then went to Harley.  Had a Roadking, Electroglide, and Roadglide. 6mths ago I got a 2015 R1200RT.  All I can say is WOW what a bike!  Ligher, better suspension more horsepower,  11000 miles and still smiling. I am 65.
Firenailer

Post by Firenailer »

HD - get yourself a pair of Kathy's Bag Liners. They beat the heck out of the roadside juggling act when you open a case, pretty cheap compared to the BMW Bags too.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

WOW, thanks for all of the good feedback. I think the RT sounds like the bike for me. The K1600 is a nice bike with a smooth ride but still too heavy. I don't need another touring bike but something for those short runs. I may keep the HD Ultra for those long trips but the RT sounds like the daily rider for me. In Louisiana we ride 12 months a year. With my son living in Va. I log many miles visiting him. The BR dealership have a 2016 loaded black RT coming in in a week or so and a decision will need be made then. GO TIGERS
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You will quickly discover the RT is the ultimate long distant tourer.. 
Hogzilla

Post by Hogzilla »

yellowjacket wrote: Hello forum members

Well we have a lot in common.  First, I was born and lived in Louisiana til I was 15 and still have family in South Louisiana.  Second, I have multiple Harleys and my recent bike was a 2012 Ultra Limited.  Took long trips on the bike and loved the relaxed riding style.  However, like you, I was tired of the heavy bike and wanted to go to a lighter bike.  I have had 3 BMWs and still have a F800GS, so I was looking at the R1200RT.  I bought it sight unseen and drove to the dealership and  hauled it home.  I can tell you of my personal experience with the bike so far has been fantastic.  It is light, handles like a dream, great wind protection but not so much that you sit in stale air.  I bought the one that was fully loaded and I thought I would not like all the gadgets, but I have used everyone of them and like them all.  I really like the pro shift.  It makes shifting so smooth.  The stereo is great and I have the XM radio for a year and enjoying it.  I did my first service on it this past weekend and it is nothing compared to a Harley.  The only bad thing I can say (and this is true on all BMWs) is that the seat is very hard and creates hot spots on your bottom.  I am trying to see if it will break in or I will change the seat at the first of spring next year.  I hope this gives you some insight about a Harley guy going german.  One last thing this bike has re-energized my passion for riding.  Good Luck
bmwdean

Post by bmwdean »

I have been riding BMW RTs  since the 1980s.  A Wisconsin native, I never owned a Harley.  I did visit the Harley factory once -- on my RT.

The seat is the major issue with an R1200RT.  Get Russell Day-Long saddles and your butt problems are over.  Info is on my R1200RT web site:

http://bmwdean.com/2015-r1200rt.htm
Jeff Dean -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm  -- Tucson, AZ, Madison, WI.  BMW RTs:  2015 R1200RT --  2007 R1200RT
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Thanks for sharing the website link Jeff - it makes for interesting reading, plus the R12RT LC bike also shown in the best colour.....San Marino Blue! ;)
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Good site
Like the seat my only concern would be, I am only 29inch inside leg , do the side panels splay your legs out, ie make it more difficult to touch floor or are they positioned so they don't affect you when you come to a halt.??

Like the shelf above the sat nav too.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have a 29 i/leg but I have the factory low seat.  So no problem with touch down. None of the panels get in the way at all and with the LC engine having the injectors on top of the cylinders its considerably narrower than the twin cam.  The low seat has been OK comfort wise over quite a few 300+ mile days.