Throttle Locks- which one?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Chad E.

Throttle Locks- which one?

Post by Chad E. »

Hi,

Since my motorcycle didn't come with cruise control, Santa Claus is thinking that I might like a throttle lock for Christmas.  I've done some research and it seems like these 3 are the most common:
  • Wunderlich
  • Kaoko
  • Throttlemeister
Does anyone have any experience with any of them? Are there better options out there for throttle locks? I don't plan on using one all of the time, just for a long trip that I'll be doing next year.

Thanks!
Levisp

Re: Throttle Locks- which one?

Post by Levisp »

I've used this one on previous bikes.

http://www.omni-cruise.com

Very nicely made and easy to use. No substitute for a proper cruise control but to safely lock the throttle does the job. Compared to bar end throttle locks the Omni is not permanent so easy to use on more than one bike or keep if you sell your current bike to use on another.

k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

I fitted the Wunderlich throttle lock to a previous RT but couldn't get on with it. It's very awkward IMO to set and cancel unless it's left permanantly applied. The throttle then loses it's automatic return which can be a little disconcerting when the unexpected arises. Also quite expensive.

Got on just as well with one of these at a fraction of the price of the Wunderlich.

http://www.theonlinepartsshop.co.uk/high-quality-black-nylon-motorcycle-motorbike-throttle-assist-cruise-control-for-22mm-7-8-handlebars/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAkIWzBRDK1ayo-Yjt38wBEiQAi7NnPxxdgjYkm0r6oxemvA7oNnCFo4ib-51rVdR-FzbxH2QaAshT8P8HAQ

There is a chap over on UKGser that makes a similar thing.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/339706-1200-GS-Cruise-Control-Throttle-Lock

Both these gadgets are ok for giving the wrist a brief rest but don't expect them to act like a cruise control because  I think you will be disappointed. With both, the throttle will creep and the bike gradually slow down, it will slow down on uphill and speed up on downhill sections. I even tried both at the same time and still got throttle creep.

No experience with the throttlemeister but would expect it to be similar to Wunderlich/Kaoko

Chris
Chad E.

Post by Chad E. »

Thanks, this is great information. I was thinking about going with the bar end style, but it looks like there are better options out there.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

k9doc wrote: I fitted the Wunderlich throttle lock to a previous RT
Sorry, meant to say GS, but the principle is the same. The one used by Levisp looks like a better version of the one I had.
Last edited by k9doc on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The advantage of the Omni lock over the solid plastic type is that its adjustable. The adjustability means you can dial in the exact amount of friction on your throttle. It also means it can work on different diameters of throttle.