IMPROVED HORN

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

IMPROVED HORN

Post by T6pilot »

today decided to install the DENALI SOUND BOMB I purchased a month or so ago
I also purchased the correct BMW pigtail to adapt the horn
Total time start to finish 30 min
New horn is 113 decibels and does not require a relay
Denali # TT-SB.10200.b
BMW part # 83-30-0-402-344
Much improved sound over stock horn, no canbus issues when testing
Jim
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: IMPROVED HORN

Post by Peter Baker »

Hey that is good to know as I thought they would need a relay, let us know if you get any errors!  I went for a FIAMM Mini Blaster (black) - 115dB which is better than factory but not as good as the one you fitted!  Peter
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, the same applies to the Stebel Magnum (ie no relay required) horn ! Not the loudest but a b.sight louder than the crappy pip squeak OEM excuse for a horn!!
kiki

Post by kiki »

That's great to hear. I read the review on webbikeworld and they referred to some space challenges and the need for a relay in their smaller bmw. Wondering if you could post up s pic of your mounting  location. Thanks!
kiki

Post by kiki »

Actually-- i just noticed that the part number for TT is actually the Sound Bomb Mini, which does not require a relay. Furthermore-- i assume, by the look of it, the installation used the stock bracket too?
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Yes bought from twisted throttle
Horn came with two additional mounting brackets
I used the stock one even though hole in bracket is one size larger. Used two thin washers with lots of blue locktite shouldn't go anywhere
Key to the install is Bmw part
Made it a very simple, clean install
Jim
kiki

Post by kiki »

T6pilot wrote: Yes bought from twisted throttle
Horn came with two additional mounting brackets
I used the stock one even though hole in bracket is one size larger. Used two thin washers with lots of blue locktite shouldn't go anywhere
Key to the install is Bmw part
Made it a very simple, clean install
I see. Very good-- thank you
kiki

Post by kiki »

I finally received my Sound Bomb Mini and the recommended BMW plug above yesterday. I prepared the plug with 2 spade connectors for the horn.
The Denali is significantly larger than the stock horn, so when i used the stock bracket it was interfering with both fork legs on both legs when turning fully.
So to fix this, i added the Denali bracket to the stock bracket (using the stock horn hole), then "indexed" it it so that it was 90 degrees rotated from the stock bracket and pointing back towards the steering head (so the 2 brackets are like a bent finger with the screw the joint). I then mounted the horn to that. Worked perfectly, with at least 1/2" clearance. Additionally i can point the "opening" of the horn down and forward.
Its LOUD!
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

I have Hella Supertone which were professionally fitted via a Screaming Banshee control unit. A half second press on the standard horn button gives a quick 'blast' of the standard horn, press the button for longer and the Hellas come into effect, combined with the headlights flashing on high beam.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Could Kiki and/or T6pilot post photos? I am a newbie and would love to see how this looks. Thanks.
kiki

Post by kiki »

I took this pic and modified it to highlight the horn and brackets
This is looking up under the beak of the bike
the stock bracket indicated by a green line and the Denali bracket indicated by a red line

Last edited by kiki on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiki

Post by kiki »

as you can see in the photo, the denali i put a little bend in to center the horn in the space. This setup gives me tons of room with no interference.The stock bracket is parallel to the fork, and the Denali bracket is rotated like a bent knee by roughly 90 degrees to get the horn tucked up underneath the steering center.
Last edited by kiki on Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Thanks Kiki. I got it now.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

I had a Sound Bomb installed between my forks and it is almost painfully LOUD.  I dread using it almost.  The way they installed it, I can feel it touch a little when going full lock to the right.  You virtually never do that, so it's not an issue.  No canbus issues with it, the aux brake/tail light or LED driving lights.
Larryblag

Post by Larryblag »

I'm still getting familiar with BMW, but if you remove one wire from the horn and operate the button you might be able to hear a relay. I'd you can, it might have contacts rated high enough for the choice of horn. Certainly though, any horn is probably invisible to the canbus (it'll only see the coil resistance).
Just a thought
♻ larryblag ♻