Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Post Reply
ggoldfogel
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:02 am

Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by ggoldfogel »

1.  Having now dropped the Nav V twice while fumbling to get it out of the recess, has anyone figured out how to defeat such idiocy?  The absence of a locking system is frustrating.  I have read the forum comments on drilling hole through the release button, etc.  Dropping an expensive piece of electronics is hugely frustrating and invariably ends with more scratches.


2.  Has anyone installed Whelen TIR3 lights as brake lights.  I am transferring my lights from FJR.  Are there issues with can bus?  I already have Clearwater can opener, Billie light license plate, Darla auxiliary lights working without any issues.  These Whelen lights are extensively used on police models, and are lovely bright.  Wheels was completely unhelpful in advise on can bus compatibility.


Thank you!


I now have about 750 miles, Touratech engine and upper crash bars, Wonderlich pannier bars, Ilium highway pegs and kickstand foot, auxiliary lights...  Well farkled...
guest2360

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by guest2360 »

The only way I can think you could drop the Nav when you remove it is to press the button before you grab hold of it with the other hand.
So far as all your extra lighting goes if you alter the load on a circuit in the Limbus system it could register this as a fault as it does if you have a light source failure. This will show on your dash. It is also capable of isolating (switching off) parts of the circuit if it registered an overload or fault.  One would hope it wouldn't do this to lights.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggoldfogel
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:02 am

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by ggoldfogel »

I totally disagree as do my riding partners. All the button does is unlock GPS. You have to tilt to get it to come forward to remove and it is awkward especially with gloves on. Unless I am missing spring or something?
guest2360

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by guest2360 »

A gloved hand won't help but after 2 years of use don't find it a problem.  if you grab it as shown and them put a bit of pressure on your thumb the unit will lift out at the top when you press the button.  it's also possible to get s good grip of it with thumb no forefinger on the bottom corners as these are clear of the moulding.
SORRY PHOTO UPSIDE DOWN.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2826

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by guest2826 »

It is slightly awkward to remove I'd agree, not the greatest design feature, but not really a problem once you are used to it. Easier of course without gloves on. As RTman shows, you just have to make sure your hand is in the right position when you press the release button and tilt the unit forward.

The other point I'd make is to ensure it is properly located when replaced. It is easy to think it is home when it is not properly so because it still works but could then fall out when you are moving. When I picked up my LC new from the dealer last year, the nav was not properly inserted because the salesman serving me was pretty ignorant about the bikes (he didn't last long!) and had to be rescued by a more knowledgeable guy. The clue is the red line which is visible on the mount at the top until the unit is fully home, when it becomes wholly obscured, but I didn't know that at the time until the good salesman showed me.

As for security, if you are concerned about leaving it on the bike when parked, remove it and put in one of the cases. Even if it had a lock, like on the GS, if I was that concerned with security where I'd parked, I'd still rather remove it just to be certain because some POS could still try and lever it out with a knife etc., just because it's there and visible, thereby damaging it even if they couldn't remove it.
Last edited by guest2826 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by richardbd »

gaggle wrote: It is slightly awkward to remove I'd agree, not the greatest design feature, but not really a problem once you are used to it. Easier of course without gloves on. As RTman shows, you just have to make sure your hand is in the right position when you press the release button and tilt the unit forward.

The other point I'd make is to ensure it is properly located when replaced. It is easy to think it is home when it is not properly so because it still works but could then fall out when you are moving. When I picked up my LC new from the dealer last year, the nav was not properly inserted because the salesman serving me was pretty ignorant about the bikes (he didn't last long!) and had to be rescued by a more knowledgeable guy. The clue is the red line which is visible on the mount at the top until the unit is fully home, when it becomes wholly obscured, but I didn't know that at the time until the good salesman showed me.

As for security, if you are concerned about leaving it on the bike when parked, remove it and put in one of the cases. Even if it had a lock, like on the GS, if I was that concerned with security where I'd parked, I'd still rather remove it just to be certain because some POS could still try and lever it out with a knife etc., just because it's there and visible, thereby damaging it even if they couldn't remove it.

Haven't managed to drop mine yet either - gloves or no gloves.


The lack of a lock is hugely irritating, especially as the K16 has one - but the Nav5 does fit neatly into the left-hand cubby hole for security...
guest2826

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by guest2826 »

richardbd wrote: ...but the Nav5 does fit neatly into the left-hand cubby hole for security...
The nav doesn't fit into that hole on my LC. Is that because I have the radio so the hole is smaller?
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by richardbd »

gaggle wrote: The nav doesn't fit into that hole on my LC. Is that because I have the radio so the hole is smaller?

Bo - it's because you're doing something wrong!


I also have the the radio and the Nav5 fits the LEFT cubby hole perfectly.  In fact I suspect it was designed to do exactly that...
guest2826

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by guest2826 »

Tried it again and you're correct Richard. I was doing it wrong, trying to slip it in from right to left. But if I push it in forward then as you say it fits perfectly. Thanks.
User avatar
richardbd
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by richardbd »

gaggle wrote: Tried it again and you're correct Richard. I was doing it wrong, trying to slip it in from right to left. But if I push it in forward then as you say it fits perfectly. Thanks.

Thought maybe your Nav5 was bigger than mine!


;-)
T6pilot
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:12 am
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by T6pilot »

My .025 cent hole in release button has worked great for last 8 months, in fact my buddies with new 16's have done the same
And yes I dropped mine before I secured it
Jim
guest2360

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by guest2360 »

How did locking the release button stop you dropping it.  Are you saying it fell out because you pressed it in by mistake.
User avatar
blokeonthemove
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by blokeonthemove »

I was wondering whether a central locking module/catch, like on the rear panniers, could be fashioned to do the job of releasing the Nav 5 unit. If ever I dismantle mine sufficiently I may look into that. It would be nice to at least be able to go and pay for fuel or whatever without having to protect your GPS.
guest3074

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by guest3074 »

blokeonthemove wrote: I was wondering whether a central locking module/catch, like on the rear panniers, could be fashioned to do the job of releasing the Nav 5 unit. If ever I dismantle mine sufficiently I may look into that. It would be nice to at least be able to go and pay for fuel or whatever without having to protect your GPS.
I can't take credit for this as it was done by someone else  ;)
Attachments
R1200RT Satnav locking.pdf
(512 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
STeinar
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:03 am

Re: Seeking advise on new R1200RTLC: Nav V mount and Whelen light questions

Post by STeinar »

blokeonthemove wrote: I was wondering whether a central locking module/catch, like on the rear panniers, could be fashioned to do the job of releasing the Nav 5 unit. If ever I dismantle mine sufficiently I may look into that. It would be nice to at least be able to go and pay for fuel or whatever without having to protect your GPS.
Do a search on this board as I have mounted a central locking on mine
Steinar
Post Reply