Rear Rack Removal (Caution Needed)

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Rear Rack Removal (Caution Needed)

Post by Our Gee »

Just a word of caution to anyone contemplating removing the RT Rear Luggage Rack. There are two M6 x 20 Oval Head Torx Screws which are accessed from below just in front of the rear light cluster. When in postion a portion of the screw threads protrude through the rack and are prone to corrosion. This can cause a problem when attempting to remove the screw and the corroded portion screws through the brass insert which is a "splined" fit into the plastic rack. The force required to turn the screw can lead to the brass insert "turning" in the rack. I belive that on earlier racks the splined brass insert is located into a "blind" hole (confirmation needed) but later racks have a cutout which does give access where the threads protrude through the insert, which will allow a  repair to be made by substituting an M6 Screw and nut.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear Rack Removal (Caution Needed)

Post by David. »

Did you split the luggage grid (No. 01) from the left & right handles (No. 02) or remove it as a complete item.

Are the M6x20 oval head screws item No. 10.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=46_0919
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I'm sure this is a stupid question but why would you want to remove the luggage rack??
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

To prepare it for ACF-50 treatment each year.

Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

richardbd wrote: I'm sure this is a stupid question but why would you want to remove the luggage rack??
Not stupid at all Richard, like a lot of other assemblies you often have to remove certain items before the item you want to get at or remove can be accessed. In this case I needed to gain good access to the wiring from the rear shock which is behind the rear offside fairing panel. In order to remove the panels you have to remove the Rack (you will see that at each side there are two torx screws which pass through the Rack Grab Handles and through the panel. Hope this explains.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: Did you split the luggage grid (No. 01) from the left & right handles (No. 02) or remove it as a complete item.

Are the M6x20 oval head screws item No. 10.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0430-EUR-05-2012-K26-BMW-R_1200_RT_10_0430,0440_&diagId=46_0919
Rack removed as a complete item David, and yes the screws are item 10.

Incidently a few years ago there was a chap, "Jaycee" I think on a now defunct BMW forum who did just what is described in my post and had to obtain a replacement rack. Jaycee was quite a "cleaner" and used to strip his RT every year for a good deep clean, hence the Rack Removal.
Last edited by Our Gee on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

DaygloDavid wrote: To prepare it for ACF-50 treatment each year.

The only time any bike I've ever owned looked like that is when it was in the factory!!
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: To prepare it for ACF-50 treatment each year.

ImageRe: Rear Rack Removal (Caution Needed)Re: Rear Rack Removal (Caution Needed)
David, just had a look at your picture with my trusty magnifing glass and now I can see that on your bike the control wire exits the shock at about the
3 o'clock position. On mine it exits at 5 o'clock which means a tight turn to point upwards which together with the shock movement and the lack of "slack" caused the boot to split. Sorry to spill over from the other thread in the General Discussions Section. !!
Last edited by Our Gee on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found these instructions for fitting a SW-MOTECH ALU-RACK, swmotech_alu_rack_top_case_rack_bmw_r1200_rt0513_bmw_k1600_gt.pdf (revzilla.com)

Thought they might be useful for anyone contemplating removing the rear rack for any reason.

The "Caution Needed" refers to the screws (4 off) in this photo.

Last edited by David. on Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.