DataTag Found

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

DataTag Found

Post by Sullivj »

When I got my new (2nd hand) bike, there was no mention of a data tag.

When I was cleaning under the swinging arm, I noticed a very faint number. A UV light revealed the data tag.

I spoke to datatag, who confirmed that the bike had never been registered with them.  This meant that I could register it free of charge, by producing a copy of my V5, which I did.

Datatag also sent me a couple of visible datatag stickers for the bike, along with the certificate. My insurers have also revised their price slightly to reflect the fact that the bike is data tagged.

That's a result!

DataTag
Last edited by Sullivj on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: DataTag

Post by guest2360 »

And?
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

RTman10 wrote: And?

Apologies, I was editing to add the text.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sullivj wrote:
Apologies, I was editing to add the text.
Very kind of them.  I had all the necessary transfer papers for mine.  Seem to remember paying the either £8 or £18 to change it to me.
falconmick

Re: DataTag Found

Post by falconmick »

Bought my bike used, supposedly , has been Data Tagged, confirmed that it is registered with them. Have shone UV light all over bike and cannot see marking anywhere?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Good dealers will hide the etching on the edge of panels etc so you might not find them easily.  UV light not required to find them, that's Clearwater.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

By how much did your insurers revise the price? 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

By how much did your insurers revise the price?

In my case bu...r all.  Then gain on a new RT Datatag is free.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

RTman10 wrote: Good dealers will hide the etching on the edge of panels etc so you might not find them easily.  UV light not required to find them, that's Clearwater.

They're much easier to photograph under a UV light. As recommended by Datatag themselves.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Maz12 wrote: By how much did your insurers revise the price?

£15 reduction.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Sullivj wrote: They're much easier to photograph under a UV light. As recommended by Datatag themselves.
Indeed, the latest datatag stencils , if applied with care are virtually invisible and now designed to be viewed with a UV light. Just a fiver or so discount on the insurance, but as it was free with the bike, worth having :-)
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Judging by the very modest insurance discounts, that would tend to suggest insurers don't hold Data Tag in high regard? and the cost of buying is not outweighed by the insurance discount.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

falconmick wrote: Judging by the very modest insurance discounts, that would tend to suggest insurers don't hold Data Tag in high regard? and the cost of buying is not outweighed by the insurance discount.
I believe it's more of an age/experiance thing to be honest. I no longer declare any other additional security as my premium will not get any cheaper. There is no more discount to be had from my Almax chain being in use.  However, forget to use your declared chain and padlock and I'm sure they would try to wriggle out of a theft claim. At least with datatag it's always 'there' and I can't forget to put it on.
The younger guys I train benefit from it more from what they tell me.