Winter storage

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ventura

Winter storage

Post by Ventura »

Hi all,
Need advice on winter storage..... it's my first year with the RT. Last few years I used to add fuel ⛽️ stabilizer and charge the battery until May of the next year...is that enough??
Can I charge the battery while it is in the RT ?? ( Temperatures can drop to Minus 30 Celsius ..!!)
Thank you.
V.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Winter storage

Post by David. »

This thread about Laying Up/Winter Storage may be of interest, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

-30C.  Don't think any advise from over here is relavent to those temperatures.  Yes you can charge the battery on the bike but I would be tempted to take it off and keep it somewhere warmer.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

My advice is - MOVE!!
:alas: :alas:
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Full fuel tank, oil and filter change, same for final drive. Stabil marine grade fuel stablizer(purple) bike on center stand, if you can park bike on wood floor do so
Tires filled 3-4 pounds over normal, extreme cold would remove battery for warmer storage
Jim
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

Thank you.
I just had a look at the battery....I don't even know where the contacts are...😟 Can't see them....not sure I will be able to remove it....,.,
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

Silly 😜 me....I just remember that there is On Board battery charge connector...  👍
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

Fill fuel tank with the recommended premium; add to that BelRay brand stabilizer; jack up BOTH wheels off the ground, if you can. If not, put at least 10 PSI more air pressure into tires (i.e. they can easily withstand that added pressure).  In addition, regarding the battery: IF you think temps would dip to a point where the battery electrolyte would FREEZE, then, by all means: REMOVE the battery to a safe environment.  Otherwise, use the BMW battery charger, or an equivalent, but do NOT place the charger leads directly to the battery terminals !!!  FOLLOW BMW's BATTERY ADVICE as in owner's manual, or RISK very expensive corruption of the bikes sensitive electronics !!  (If you don't, this could easily be a 1200 to 1500 dollar mistake !!).  I'd also recommend putting a cover over the bike to keep the grime to a minimum, and also DOUBLE CHECK the coolant (assuming a water cooled boxer), and check the coolant with a hygrometer to make sure it has not been diluted with excess water.  As a last measure, if you're oil mileage is high (i.e. 3K-6K or +), change the oil and filter PRIOR to winter.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You could always bring it in the house. Alternatively the one word option above is a good one.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

" Otherwise, use the BMW battery charger, or an equivalent, but do NOT place the charger leads directly to the battery terminals !!!  FOLLOW BMW's BATTERY ADVICE as in owner's manual, or RISK very expensive corruption of the bikes sensitive electronics !!  (If you don't, this could easily be a 1200 to 1500 dollar mistake !!)"

Like many others, I've always connected diectly to the battery and never had a problem.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

freyguy17 wrote:If not, put at least 10 PSI more air pressure into tires (i.e. they can easily withstand that added pressure).
On the sidewall of the rear tyre on my RT, the maximum loading is given at a pressure of 42 psi. The rider's manual recommends a max. of 36/42 psi.

Do the tyre manufacturers recommend a pressure greater than 42 psi.
Last edited by David. on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:Like many others, I've always connected diectly to the battery and never had a problem.
Ditto for me.

The charging system on the bike from the alternator is bolted to the battery. The typical charging voltage is 13 to 15 volts.

Battery chargers usually dish out less than 15 volts.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ventura wrote:I just had a look at the battery. I don't even know where the contacts are. Can't see them.
kiki

Post by kiki »

To the OP-- I too am a Canadian, and having lived in the UK for a few years, I would have to disagree with those comments above... but thats another story...

Anyway, begin by pouring an appropirate amount of fuel stabilizer into the bike , and then filling it and taking it for a short ride ( i bring mine to the gas station and put the stabilizer in the tank just before my last fill), then  ideally service your bike with an oil change and "once over". -- alternately conduct the full service if one is due or near due. Check the tire pressure and bring them up to spec. Clean and wax the bike, then put an old sheet over it or a bike cover if you have one. Park the bike on its center stand in an area where it will not be exposed directly to moisture ( I assume you are using an unheated garage). Use the on-board battery charger with a Tecmate 4 (Optimate). Check it every few days ( i park mine in my line of sight).
You can fog the engine but i am not sure that is necessary for only a few months park.
In the spring you should be good to go.

Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

I lay my MC's up in winter, full tank of fuel with stabaliser, block exhaust off with a rag.Proper bike cover over same. Place carpet samples (squares) under tyres (Bike on Centre Stand) carpet protects tyre from degrading by protecting them from cold floor. I do not bother with changing oil or serving it for the lay up, they are always serviced to schedule any way including Brake fluid every 2 years, coolant 3 to 4 years so all is well. Incidentally been doing similar for 40 plus years no problems all bikes start first time. Ok I have a dry solid brick garage.
Jacksnipe