New Pilot Road 4 just fitted

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
shoei

New Pilot Road 4 just fitted

Post by shoei »

Just for comparison £270 front and rear loose wheels.
Levisp

Re: New Pilot Road 4 just fitted

Post by Levisp »

Hope they were the GT version.
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

Yes, they MUST be the GT version. They are the only tyres Michelin make for the RT.
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Pete1200 wrote: Yes, they MUST be the GT version. They are the only tyres Michelin make for the RT.

Do they not make it in the correct size for the rest on the RT  but not GT which is just a strengthened wall version for heavier bikes.
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

The need to only use the GTs comes straight from Michelin themselves.
"The Pilot Road 4 GT tyres are our only recommendation for your bike.  The GT version feature a different and stiffer construction than the regular Pilot Road 4 tyres.  They are designed to resisit any tendency towards high speed weave when the bike is pushed hard, particularly when loaded and cornering at speed.  The Police spec BMWs use the recommended GT tyres, they have to have maximum stability for high speed pursuits and full top speed running.

If the regular version were used on your bike instead of our recommended fitment, they could be expected to produce a softer and more compliant ride, but also give the possibility of some high speed.instability under the conditions mentioned above.  You can see why we therefore can’t recommend that you try them.
I hope this sorts that aspect out.
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It has been known for fitters to fit the wrong spec which I think the point  Levisp was making. It happened to me on a 1600 when the rear Z8 was M spec instead of C.  Walls gave in after 400 miles.
shoei

Post by shoei »

Yeah GT.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

If one were to take a middle-weight bike such as a Yamaha Mt-09 or a BMW F800GT, one would notice improved handling on moving from PR4 GT to a standard PR4. This is why I spent a lot of time pushing a Michelin tyre rep about fitting standard tyres to my RT.
His verdict was that the standard tyres were permissable at low speeds and ridden solo, but not recommended for two-up touring at higher speeds.
John Bentall