Front storage containers

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Post Reply
User avatar
DonVulpes
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

Front storage containers

Post by DonVulpes »

Does anyone have a rough idea of the internal dimensions, please ?

I assume they're locked along with the rest of the bike, if it has central locking, too ?
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
beemerboy9
Posts: 587
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:44 am
Location: North London
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 17 times
Great Britain

Re: Front storage containers

Post by beemerboy9 »

Yes, they are locked with the central locking.


What are you planning to put in there?
John Bentall
User avatar
DonVulpes
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Front storage containers

Post by DonVulpes »

Thanks for the confirmation:

I've got no idea. It would depend on their size.

I understand the Nav VI will fit in one, but for days out I would like to take some charging leads for the phones/headsets and a portable battery. Maybe a couple of tools/tape/tie wraps for minor repairs. I gather they aren't big enough for a tyre repair kit and compressor ?

Once I actually get the bike I'll be able to farkle to my heart's content, but I'm away from home and twiddling my thumbs.......
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
beemerboy9
Posts: 587
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:44 am
Location: North London
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 17 times
Great Britain

Re: Front storage containers

Post by beemerboy9 »

DonVulpes wrote: Thanks for the confirmation:

I've got no idea. It would depend on their size.

I understand the Nav VI will fit in one, but for days out I would like to take some charging leads for the phones/headsets and a portable battery. Maybe a couple of tools/tape/tie wraps for minor repairs. I gather they aren't big enough for a tyre repair kit and compressor ?

Once I actually get the bike I'll be able to farkle to my heart's content, but I'm away from home and twiddling my thumbs.......

The Nav VI will completely fill the compartment. You could consider putting the items you mention in the same place as your helmet. gloves, earplugs, neck-tube etc. when you are travelling.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
User avatar
DonVulpes
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Front storage containers

Post by DonVulpes »

beemerboy9 wrote:
The Nav VI will completely fill the compartment. You could consider putting the items you mention in the same place as your helmet. gloves, earplugs, neck-tube etc. when you are travelling.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

The battery and leads are for re-charging the bluetooth headsets when we stop for lunch etc. The toolkit and garage door opener ( something else I remembered I needed after the first post ) would live in there for when they're needed ( I'm hoping to not use the panniers/top box unless I'm touring ). The underseat area will be taken up by the Innovv camera and Fuzeblock, so unless I get a slim topbox/peli case, I'm just wondering how I'll carry a few items I consider essential.
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
User avatar
blokeonthemove
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Front storage containers

Post by blokeonthemove »

They really are small, the nearside one as stated is a good fit for the Nav unit but nothing else. The offside is even smaller maybe stick your garage door opener on the underside of the lid and the push the glovebox knob to open. There is a bit of room to the rear of the pillion seat under the rack area.
beemerboy9
Posts: 587
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:44 am
Location: North London
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 17 times
Great Britain

Re: Front storage containers

Post by beemerboy9 »

DonVulpes wrote: Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

The battery and leads are for re-charging the bluetooth headsets when we stop for lunch etc. The toolkit and garage door opener ( something else I remembered I needed after the first post ) would live in there for when they're needed ( I'm hoping to not use the panniers/top box unless I'm touring ). The underseat area will be taken up by the Innovv camera and Fuzeblock, so unless I get a slim topbox/peli case, I'm just wondering how I'll carry a few items I consider essential.

My first reply was something of a wind-up. I have my top box on all the time and add panniers only for touring. First aid kit, small scale UK road maps, puncture repair outfit and seat cover live in there permanently,  while helmet, gloves go in there for the lunch stop.
John Bentall
User avatar
DonVulpes
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Front storage containers

Post by DonVulpes »

Thanks guys. I was hoping they'd be bigger, but I can leave the topbox on, if needs be.
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
BoB21
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 am
Bike Model and Year: 2017
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 54 times
Great Britain

Re: Front storage containers

Post by BoB21 »

If you do not have radio large space behind speaker covers.
User avatar
DonVulpes
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Front storage containers

Post by DonVulpes »

BoB21 wrote: If you do not have radio large space behind speaker covers.
I haven't bought the bike yet, so I don't know whether it will or not.

Even if it does, I can always go down that route, as I'll never use the radio. Removing the speakers should be easy enough.
I noticed in another thread that someone has gone down that route and it looks like a tidy solution.
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
Post Reply