Which disc locks are owners using ??

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
adewhitmarsh

Which disc locks are owners using ??

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Hi,i have been looking in to buying a disc lock for my RT,any recommendations ? I have read up about the Abus 8077 which has god reviews.
futterweasel

Re: Which disc locks are owners using ??

Post by futterweasel »

If god says its ok It must be good!
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

I like Artago. Disk lock and alarm. Keep in mind, is rather heavy.
http://www.artagosecureusa.com/artago-disc-lock
Am not sure if God had a chance to review it... :alas:
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I use an Oxford and it doubles up as the lock for the chain when left in more vulnerable places and for any length of time. The only problem with the chain is it's not long enough to wrap it round any of the fixings if there are any. Downside of a longer one is the wieght. The newer Waitrose car parks have ground anchors in the bike parking.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

I have 2 XENA's, an XX14 for the front and XZZ6 for the rear, bot fitted right up against the brake caliper. About £100 for both. The alarms are just the right sensitivity IMHO. Easy to set up, but I usually set them off when I take them off. My thinking was that a determined thief with a disc cutter can remove even the most expensive locks (they wrap a wet cloth around the unit to muffle the alarm too), so all they buy you a is little time, and the difference between these and the pricey locks was inconsequential.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I'm using an Abus Granite Sledg, a great heavy lock.  But as Back2thebike said it matters not if the scrotes have a grinder...

austavla
Bike Model and Year: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Norway

Post by austavla »

Hi
I'm using Squire ML2L motorcycle disc lock.

It's about the Ride! For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary: for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

delboy1145

Post by delboy1145 »

I use an Oxford Screamer fitted to the rear disc. My logic being if they try put it in a van they have to lift the bike and if they use a disc cutter its harder to grind the pin as the frame and exhaust are in the way

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Ganesh wrote: I use an Oxford and it doubles up as the lock for the chain when left in more vulnerable places and for any length of time. The only problem with the chain is it's not long enough to wrap it round any of the fixings if there are any. Downside of a longer one is the wieght. The newer Waitrose car parks have ground anchors in the bike parking.
Newer Waitrose stores car parks with dedicated bike parking and ground anchors, eh?? What part of the country have you found those Ganesh? I only ask as here in the SW, they seem loathe to accommodate for specific bike spaces, let alone ground anchors! Let’s hope the competition follows their lead??
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

At Morrisons Wetherby, the non-RT NM's park their bikes in the trolley park, secured by chains for which it costs £1 to release the bike.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

David. wrote: At Morrisons Wetherby, the non-RT NM's park their bikes in the trolley park, secured by chains for which it costs £1 to release the bike.
Haha. Won't bother as the Yorkies up there would sooner nick the trolleys, easier to chuck in the river! Anyway who in their right mind would nick a Suzi with all those choice BMWs there for the taking?
Chris
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Is there any record of an RT ever being stolen? I just use a couple of abus padlocks through the discs. I did however buy a couple of xena alarmed disc locks which my son promptly took for his r6 that just got 'pushed away' due to no security devices being used. :-\
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I have just got a Oxford Monster disc lock,it is not easy to cut this lock off with disc cutters.
k9doc
Bike Model and Year: 2013 TC 90th Anniversary Edition
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by k9doc »

Had an Oxford 385 D lock. Once forgot to remove it from the front wheel of a Goldwing when leaving Chipping Norton car park. Didn't end well but surprisingly less difficult than anticipated to put back the right way up.
Chris