Steering stop

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Steering stop

Post by temesvar »

Am looking at installing a steering stop on my 2008 RT.
The only one I found is made by Touratech, Was wondering if
anyone has used it or has found a different make.
Thanks.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Steering stop

Post by Our Gee »

OK, I’ll ask first, “what’s a steering stop” ?.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

Our Gee wrote: OK, I’ll ask first, “what’s a steering stop” ?.
Ok, glad you asked: is one of those devices that locks your handle bars at high speed, so you can lean back and take a nap, when you know the road is straight for at least a few hours. Sort of like the riderless bike... :alas:
I just couldn't resist, so my apologies! The steering, or the angle of the handle bars can turn to is limited by a stop. There is the factory stop, that can break under stress, or just are not enough in case you have modified the handle bars. That is why there are after market stops.
I hope this helps.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Yup, that explains it.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is a steering stop going to keep the bike upright & travelling in a straight line.

i2i MCA might offer a different view, http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/valua ... -1-4462954

"He explains that motorcycles are naturally stable – the wheels act like gyros moving the bike forward and keeping it upright – and it is riders who upset the balance.

To prove it, he gets his bike rolling along the runway, taking his hands off the bars, bounces on the pillion seat and stands up on the footrests, arms outstretched while the bike keeps upright and going straight ahead.

With visions of my new bike sliding down the runway, I gingerly let go of the bars for a couple of seconds at first but am soon happily coasting along, arms out, sitting back on the pillion, even altering the bike’s course by moving slightly left or right on the seat."

Last edited by David. on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

temesvar wrote: Am looking at installing a steering stop on my 2008 RT.

Why would you fit a steering stop to a road bike? The device is designed for off road bikes that can take a real beating when trying to do tight maneuvers over rough surfaces on full lock.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

None of the i2i MCA off road bikes had steering stops fitted.
Last edited by David. on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

David. wrote: Is a steering stop going to keep the bike upright & travelling in a straight line.
My friend, I was only kidding when I said that it will lock the steering and keep the bike going straight!!!
I hope I didn't cause any confusion. Every bike has a steering stop built so the bars will turn only so much.
They are usually aluminum, and under stress they can break. That is a reason why some use the additional
after market steering stop. I didn't even know they exist, as many others here, but was looking at ways to
reduce slightly the angle the handle bars turn so I came across them. Just thought I post it here, just in case
someone knows other models.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Is a steering stop going to keep the bike upright & travelling in a straight line.

i2i MCA might offer a different view, http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/valuable-lesson-in-stability-control-such-fun-for-bikers-1-4462954

"He explains that motorcycles are naturally stable – the wheels act like gyros moving the bike forward and keeping it upright – and it is riders who upset the balance.

To prove it, he gets his bike rolling along the runway, taking his hands off the bars, bounces on the pillion seat and stands up on the footrests, arms outstretched while the bike keeps upright and going straight ahead.

With visions of my new bike sliding down the runway, I gingerly let go of the bars for a couple of seconds at first but am soon happily coasting along, arms out, sitting back on the pillion, even altering the bike’s course by moving slightly left or right on the seat."

Bit like this guy?  :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EklFNcJyE0U
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

bandytales wrote: Why would you fit a steering stop to a road bike? The device is designed for off road bikes that can take a real beating when trying to do tight maneuvers over rough surfaces on full lock.
My good ol' friend, Bandit ales :kacsint2:
You have a legitimate question here. I didn't even know there are such devices, just accidentally came across one made by Touratech.
Also Wunderlich makes a set that I like. So here is why I will install a set of them stops: I lowered the handle bars about an inch
(2.4 cm) and the turn signal levers just touch the tank coverings. So would like to reduce the angle just slightly to avoid that.
Now I know, you will ask: why did you lower the handle bars when most people use raisers? :not: Well, am using a low seat,
therefore the bars are higher than if sitting on factory seat.
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

simbo wrote: Bit like this guy? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EklFNcJyE0U
That guy is having fun, doesn't he? :))
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Where the handle bar stop is on the underside of the top yoke (a moulded aluminium protrusion pointing down, where it hits the welded on piece of the headstock to create the stop position) Would it not be possible to add a self adhesive packer of some description to reduce the amount of turn?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

simbo wrote: Where the handle bar stop is on the underside of the top yoke (a moulded aluminium protrusion pointing down, where it hits the welded on piece of the headstock to create the stop position) Would it not be possible to add a self adhesive packer of some description to reduce the amount of turn?
That is a great suggestion. Was thinking of doing that but somehow am afraid , sooner or later, it will fall off. Wish it was at a more accessible location. I just don't want to remove now the top yoke, to drill and tap and secure a piece of rubber by a flat head screw. But thanks for the suggestion!
Here is what I just may go for.
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorc ... 01361.html
You can see a picture of them mounted on the bike. Not cheap, :not: that is for sure, but what is?