20019 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Gman1969
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:12 pm

20019 RT

Post by Gman1969 »

MCN have some spy shots of the 2019 RT potential changes to fairing, tft display and 150BHP engine taking it to 1250cc - cant wait :)
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: 20019 RT

Post by Casbar »

Gman1969 wrote: MCN have some spy shots of the 2019 RT potential changes to fairing, tft display and 150BHP engine taking it to 1250cc - cant wait :)

Dont BMW normally bring out new engines in the GS before the RT? Was thinking of changing mine, but may wait now - lol
User avatar
7vwh
Subscriber
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: East Yorkshire, UK
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Re: 20019 RT

Post by 7vwh »

gogs01
Posts: 628
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:32 am

Re: 20019 RT

Post by gogs01 »

I'm not looking for more power, more weight or a higher price - all of which are likely to appear on a 2019 R1250RT.
Improved fuel economy, lower emissions and integrating the GPS would be interesting though ..... ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: 20019 RT

Post by Casbar »

Don't think the TFT on the GS has full Nav, it connects to your phone and just shows arrows, so more basic Nav. So would the RT be any different, guess we will have to wait and see. One Mag said they thought it would be released early 2020, with GS with new engine in released released Oct this year
Omobono
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Re: 20019 RT

Post by Omobono »

Personally I don't think the power is the issue. For me at least, the main issue is the fact that the engine sounds like a depressed chainsaw. If they made the aural experience more interesting, as they did with the air-cooled boxer engine, this for me would me a much better incentive to swap my RT than more HPs I don't ultimately need.
Ah, and I would like full LED lights, TFT screen (I think we'll get that) and the possibility to lock the satnav on the bike, too. For the rest, my 2014 is just so amazingly good it is difficult to find other reasons to swap.
O
Last edited by Omobono on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am

Re: 20019 RT

Post by bandytales »

Omobono wrote: Personally I don't think the power is the issue. For me at least, the main issue is the fact that the engine sounds like a depressed chainsaw.[size=2px]
[/size]


Do you run an Akropovic on your bike?




[size=2px]
Omobono wrote:
[/size]
Ah, and I would like full LED lights[size=2px][/quote][/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Yes...well let's just say better lights, with a much tighter defined low beam cut off. Low beam improve the spread of light too. High beam...Loads more much punch needed (both distance and spread).[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=2px]
Omobono wrote:
[/size]
[size=78%], TFT screen (I think we'll get that)[/size][size=2px][/quote][/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]I just can't see the lure or need for the TFT screen...but it will come as it is ultimately much cheaper and easier to configure for lots of different uses.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=2px]
Omobono wrote:
[/size][size=78%] and the possibility to lock the satnav on the bike, too.[/size][size=78%][/quote][/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
Yes to that.
Omobono
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Re: 20019 RT

Post by Omobono »

Hi, no Akrapovich on my bike but I never heard a water cooled boxer with Akrapovich that satisfied me. I also have (and have had) several Guzzis and that deep, gurgling twin sound is what I am looking for. Triumph twins and Harleys are making an excellent work of this even with Euro 4, and I like Indian and Ducati a lot, too. If BMW would experiment with different firing orders and manage to give the boxer a sort of V2 feel I think I might not ride anything else...

I would like the TFT because I have seen videos showing how good it is in giving comprehensive information and remaining readable in sun light. I have seen something on the Missenden Flyer that was truly impressive. But yeah, it's not indispensable. 
bandytales
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am

Re: 20019 RT

Post by bandytales »

Omobono wrote: Hi, no Akrapovich on my bike but I never heard a water cooled boxer with Akrapovich that satisfied me. I also have (and have had) several Guzzis and that deep, gurgling twin sound is what I am looking for. Triumph twins and Harleys are making an excellent work of this even with Euro 4, and I like Indian and Ducati a lot, too.[size=2px]
[/size]
TBH it sounds as if the boxer engine is not for you. It is the sound many of us love. Smooth yet can bark when it needs to, unlike all the bikes you have listed which sound like they are agricultural all the time. I too have been a long term V twin owner, but it is the boxer that has won me over (and I like my Akro').


User avatar
michaelc2710
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:31 pm
Location: Greater Manchester
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: 20019 RT

Post by michaelc2710 »

bandytales wrote: [/font][/size]
TBH it sounds as if the boxer engine is not for you. It is the sound many of us love. Smooth yet can bark when it needs to, unlike all the bikes you have listed which sound like they are agricultural all the time. I too have been a long term V twin owner, but it is the boxer that has won me over (and I like my Akro').

+1
Casbar
Posts: 2670
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:25 am
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: 20019 RT

Post by Casbar »

I also love the sound of Harleys and have owned two, both with aftermarket exhausts. I do have an Akra on my LC, but its not loud and is a totally different and satisfying sound. Horses for courses, but RTs are not about noisy exhausts, they are about being brilliant at what they were designed for, a great tool for getting from A to B in comfort :)
simbo
Subscriber
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:33 pm
Location: Greater Manchester
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 109 times
Great Britain

Re: 20019 RT

Post by simbo »

If Boxer twin engines made music, it would be elevator music! The RT is a great bike for the purpose it was designed for, dull as dishwater though. 🖒
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
bandytales
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am

Re: 20019 RT

Post by bandytales »

simbo wrote: If Boxer twin engines made music, it would be elevator music! The RT is a great bike for the purpose it was designed for, dull as dishwater though. 🖒

Your Camhead may be Dull, but my Wethead (engine and gearbox) are far from dull.
simbo
Subscriber
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:33 pm
Location: Greater Manchester
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 109 times
Great Britain

Re: 20019 RT

Post by simbo »

bandytales wrote:
Your Camhead may be Dull, but my Wethead (engine and gearbox) are far from dull.

Yes, some might say 125hp at the engine and a wet weight of 276kg is far from dull.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Omobono
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Re: 20019 RT

Post by Omobono »

Am I wrong of at least some of the RnineT series (the scrambler?) have a different firing order?
Post Reply