Flip up helmet and intercom

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ddenmat

Flip up helmet and intercom

Post by Ddenmat »

hi looking to buy new helmet and intercom , like the Shoei neotec2 but can’t buy the sena Srl system till late May and likewise the bmw system! Any advice on the best unit to get
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Flip up helmet and intercom

Post by T6pilot »

Schubert C4 along with Sena/Schubert built in, works quite well on my 15RT, ended up with the Sena handlebar remote, sound quality is 4.5 out of 5
Jim
Pappy35

Post by Pappy35 »

For whatever it's worth, I just bought a NeoII and it's awesome. I chose to get the helmet now as my Multitec, that was just  pulled out of the closet where it's been hiding for the last nine years, was literally degrading. I figured I could wait a little while to get the headset.
'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
Dabs

Post by Dabs »

My son just got a Shark Evo One 2.  Rather than being a "flip up" it is fully convertible.  The chin bar flips all the way around to the back so that you can ride in "3/4 helmet" mode without a big wind catcher sticking up over your head.    It also has a built-in sun shield and pin-lock.

BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I have got shark evo one as well the other benefit is once chin bar out off way the visor can still be put down unlike flip front helmets. The downside is the recess for speakers is quite small or my ears are to big! :whistle:
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I can only comment on the BMW System 6 Evo and BMW communicator.  They both work well, although I have the impression that the BMW communicator technology is behind the leaders in the field. The range when using it bike to bike is quite limited, but it handles pillion, satnav and phone fine.
The helmet isn't the lightest but has now been superseded by the System 7 Carbon, which may be better in this respect.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just got a pair of Nolan N40 GT Crossover helmets and a twin set of their N Com Bluetooth units.  Fitting is a 10 minute job and they work perfectly.  The whole lot, two helmets and the Bluetooth set cost a total of £481.  Bargain. I’ve used nothing but BMW helmets since 1996 but these are lighter more comfortable and seem as well put together as any of them.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

RTman10 wrote: Just got a pair of Nolan N40 GT Crossover helmets and a twin set of their N Com Bluetooth units.  Fitting is a 10 minute job and they work perfectly.  The whole lot, two helmets and the Bluetooth set cost a total of £481.  Bargain. I’ve used nothing but BMW helmets since 1996 but these are lighter more comfortable and seem as well put together as any of them.

They'll be broke before long.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

simbo wrote:
They'll be broke before long.

Have you had experience with them.  I know a few who have owned them for some time with no problems . 
kiki

Post by kiki »

I have a Neotec and use a Cardo Q3 system that works excellent.
R_Blaine

Post by R_Blaine »

New Guy here...

I just got back from my first 2-up trip on the RT, three days to the Sacramento mile. Two weeks ago I did 2K solo miles riding to Utah and back.

I'm using a first gen Shoei Neotec and Sena SMH10R, my girlfriend has a different helmet with an SMH10R installed. The combo worked really well on both trips. On the longest day of the first trip the SMH10R brought music from the sat radio and my phone into my helmet for over 15 hours before the battery ran out*. A quick charge at a gas stop got me almost home before I had to go back to the speakers. On the second trip the bike's sound system and SMH10Rs on my helmet and my GF's worked really well, especially after I figured out how to set the SMH10Rs to work in VOX mode and music share so we could both enjoy the music in our helmets instead of the distorted at highway speeds sound from the bike's speakers. We could talk when we had something to talk about, when we stopped talking the music came back to keep us entertained as the miles went by.

I can't say what will work from another rider but I'm pretty happy with the small, light Sena communicators and the Neotec.

(added a few minutes later) Conclusion: If the Neotec fits your head shape and you have the money for the combo you should be happy with the Neotec and SRL set you are asking about, it is just a "new and improved" version of the setup that is working well for this rider.

Rick B.

*The dead battery could have been avoided, next time I'll charge at gas and food stops.
Last edited by R_Blaine on Mon May 21, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

kiki wrote: I have a Neotec and use a Cardo Q3 system that works excellent.
+1 on Neotec with Cardo Scala Q3 intercom. It does work well.
Last edited by Steve F on Thu May 24, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mentalrental

Post by mentalrental »

Hi. I have tried all sorts of options, whilst trying not to break the bank. Fitting a system in my current lid which hurt my ears so I bit the bullet and bought a Viper RS151. This was fine but was a different frequency to my wife's system. As the viper helmets do come up a touch small I gave it to my wife and bought another (size larger) Viper this was the upgrade model RS171. On reading the small print the new 171 will not pair with the older 151. Only had it a year. I've also since learnt that the viper can only link to one Bluetooth system at a time so no use for interacting between satnav and pillion. The moral is don't be a moron like me and end up with four crash helmets none of which are fit for purpose. Read all the forums, ask all the questions and remember you only get what you pay for. 
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Autocom SPA... 3 different bikes, 3 helmets, always charged. Great audio too.
It's only one wire to plug in too  ;)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

T6pilot wrote: Schubert C4 along with Sena/Schubert built in, works quite well on my 15RT, ended up with the Sena handlebar remote, sound quality is 4.5 out of 5
This has been a total PIA solution for me and I’d not recommended.

Lots of issues with shutdowns from visor flip downs or jarring loose from chin-up or down.  Latest FW reduced volume loudness so don’t upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1. Yea just a ducking hassle.  Now looking at BMW or SN2 instead of the C4. Disappointed for 1500 plus in gear, helmet, SC2A and remote.  Google it for yourself though.

Cheers,
Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23