Where do you keep your cash for Tolls?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Frank123

Where do you keep your cash for Tolls?

Post by Frank123 »

Hi, Is there an easier system to pay toll with cash on Motorways? (ie. arrive at toll booth, come to a halt, put bike in neutral, side stand down and reset bike, flip up visor, right glove off, find the money in my pocket, pay toll, ask toll booth operator to apologize on my behalf to the the Q formed behind, then reverse all above before riding off). The tank bag prevents me using the lid on the petrol tank to hold the coins and I don't carry a pax. Any ideas?

Regards
Sprintgull

Re: Where do you keep your cash for Tolls?

Post by Sprintgull »

Hi, Not sure what a pax is, but the Wunderlich cockpit bag for the LC version of RT is really handy.  It sits between the bodywork and screen.  I found an old small camera lens bag with a drawstring.  I keep a few quid in that and then just leave the last inch or so of drawstring sticking out of the zip.  Really easy to whip out.  The bit of drawstring is also a useful visual reminder that you haven't left it behind somewhere.

Not perfect, but it works for me.
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Thanks for that (and pax = passenger)

Regards
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

This may not be helpful but, if the tolls are in France or Spain you can get an electronic tag which does away with the need for cash - and the need for stopping !

Previously, when travelling with my brother we would agree who would pay and we would enter the toll together. That way, only one person needed to go through the paying procedure (twice).  That saved some time. 

On my current bike, the lockable cubby hole on the left is very handy for cash or credit card
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Frank,
If you’re talking paying tolls in France, Spain or  Portugal, take a look at https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=28328#p28328
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Many thanks for the responses and info on the [font=Verdana][size=1em]Liber-t (SANEF) Télépéage Scheme[/font][/size]  Indeed we are off to do the Normandy Invasion beaches in June but my biker buddies swear that as we will only be on national routes there are no tolls involved.

it's only 2 x €1 to go North to South here in IRL I'm  going to tape some coins to my tank bag plastic cover and see how that goes.

Regards
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

On our trip to France last month, I just put my contact less card in the tank bag. Didn't have to take my glove of as I just placed the card in front of the pad on the machine.
Then after a few tolls I gave the card to the Mrs on the back and she did the tolls from the rear. (struggled to get my card back of her .....)
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Never used cash, just credit card, easy.
Browney

Post by Browney »

I use a Wunderlich bar bag too :)

I keep my credit card in there too..

https://www.nippynormans.com/r1150rt/wu ... lc-2014-on
Attachments
20180719_155908.jpg
Last edited by Browney on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Like most other discussions, everyone has their personal favourite. I used to tour through France with cash to hand and, oh what a faff (the wife was on her own bike so no pillion to take control of handling the cash) on some of the autoroute toll booths. Admittedly, the credit card sounds like a vast improvement over cash, but the SANEF Liber-t transponder gizmo is an absolute delight. Drive slowly through the relevant toll lane with both hands planted firmly on the bars, get the green light and barrier rise, and off you go! So simple and totally stress-free, and I think most importantly, you can stay focussed on what really matters, riding the bike without any unnecessary distractions. Yes, it costs to subscribe to the scheme, but I still believe a small price to pay for the benefits of hassle free toll booth encounters.🙂👍
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Steve F wrote: Like most other discussions, everyone has their personal favourite. I used to tour through France with cash to hand and, oh what a faff (the wife was on her own bike so no pillion to take control of handling the cash) on some of the autoroute toll booths. Admittedly, the credit card sounds like a vast improvement over cash, but the SANEF Liber-t transponder gizmo is an absolute delight. Drive slowly through the relevant toll lane with both hands planted firmly on the bars, get the green light and barrier rise, and off you go! So simple and totally stress-free, and I think most importantly, you can stay focussed on what really matters, riding the bike without any unnecessary distractions. Yes, it costs to subscribe to the scheme, but I still believe a small price to pay for the benefits of hassle free toll booth encounters.🙂👍

Like the sounds of that. I have my credit card by itself in tank bag for easy access. However I have a love hate relationship with the toll booth machines. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. They can be fickle. Last time I was in the US driving down the East Coast Boston to Washington DC I opted for a toll transponder for payments. Worked a treat and as you say stress free. May look into the Sanef one.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Steve F where do you put the transponder when on a motorcycle. Any issues using on a bike.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Levisp,
I put my transponder gizmo in the front lower pocket of my (Urban Glow) hi-viz tabbard. I make sure it faces the correct way round (as per the instruction leaflet that comes with it) and wrap it in a small zip-lock bag or similar to make sure it stays dry. That works for me on my RT and also the wife does the same on her 650 Burgman. No issues other than the first time I used it I whizzed down the toll lane too quickly, so had to back up slightly to let the overhead scanner read the gizmo! Needless to say, I now approach more cautiously !🙂
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thanks Steve F for the info may well give it a try next time I hit France. I did read on the site not to use height restricted lanes and stay in centre of lane and approach slowly. Also worth checking that you have been charged correctly as a class 5 vehicle. Good to know it works for us motorcyclists. Thanks.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

That’s okay Levisp. Yes, as you rightly say, approach the correct lane and at a modest speed. The Yorkshire based U.K. arm of SANEF tolling will regularly update you by email with your invoice as and when you’ve used the device, and you can then get a detailed breakdown of charges (at the correct vehicle class rate). Simples!