Cyl Head Protectors.

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Beagle

Cyl Head Protectors.

Post by Beagle »

which are the best/most popular?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Cyl Head Protectors.

Post by Casbar »

I've got the BMW ones on my bike
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I used the BMW ones on my 2014 and trabsferred them to my current 2018.
The good thing is that the plastic insert is easily replaceable should you ever drop the bike. Oops like I did trying to do a silly U-turn in Scotland (as swimbo keeps reminding me) on a bad road fully loaded.
In fact it was only the plastic insert that was marked after a very gentle let down. I managed to file off the rough part and never got around to changing it.
:)

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

BeeJay wrote: I used the BMW ones on my 2014 and trabsferred them to my current 2018.
The good thing is that the plastic insert is easily replaceable should you ever drop the bike. Oops like I did trying to do a silly U-turn in Scotland (as swimbo keeps reminding me) on a bad road fully loaded.
In fact it was only the plastic insert that was marked after a very gentle let down. I managed to file off the rough part and never got around to changing it.

Was it only the cylinder head covers that got damaged, or did the panniers and tupperware have any damage. After not fitting engine bars to my bikes, I am now considering whether to invest in some bars and forget cylinder head protectors. I have dropped a RTP before which had bars and there wasn't a mark on the bike.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Just the plastic insert on the covers. Swimbo said it looked like slow motion as I gently let it com to rest.
Very pleased, just annoyed.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ordered the BMW ones from the recommendations.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

+1 for the BMW guards.  Fitted those and also some bumper protectors (Halfords, about £10) along the bottom of the panniers where the bike rests if it falls over. They look fine, like they were supposed to be there.  Had one very slow drop and those were the only two places to touch down.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sprintgull wrote: +1 for the BMW guards.  Fitted those and also some bumper protectors (Halfords, about £10) along the bottom of the panniers where the bike rests if it falls over. They look fine, like they were supposed to be there.  Had one very slow drop and those were the only two places to touch down.

Any chance of a photo of bumper protectors on your bike?

I presume you mean these,
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/exterior-protection/richbrook-bumper-bodywork-protector-370mm

Last edited by Beagle on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taz

Post by Taz »

+1 for the BMW guards and the Halfords protectors.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

BMW impact protectors
Attachments
EA4032BF-B983-4512-89BB-CE893C393053.jpeg
Jim - 2020 ‘B’
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Sprintgull wrote: +1 for the BMW guards.  Fitted those and also some bumper protectors (Halfords, about £10) along the bottom of the panniers where the bike rests if it falls over. They look fine, like they were supposed to be there.  Had one very slow drop and those were the only two places to touch down.
Excellent idea, any chance of a pic of where you stuck em on please?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Bmw covers came but no instructions. Couldnt find any on net. Anyone able to help?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Beagle wrote: Bmw covers came but no instructions. Couldnt find any on net. Anyone able to help?

Ok found them.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/lanotattachments/download/file/id/539/store/7/cylinder_head_cover_guard.pdf
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

Beagle wrote: Bmw covers came but no instructions. Couldnt find any on net. Anyone able to help?

Top pieces mount quite easy, but be cautious when you position bottom pieces, to make sure there is good case contact all the way around perimeter of piece.  The 3m double stick is very thin, and not very wide....

I posted a pic of my first attempt in previous post. I placed mine in wrong position first attempt, had to remove, install new 3m tape and reinstall.
Jim - 2020 ‘B’
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Hi, Sprintgull,
Did you use any Loctite on the screws?