General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Retirement

Post by smileymiley »

Well, put my notice in today... so as of 11th June I will be fully retired instead of part time  :))
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Levisp

Re: Retirement

Post by Levisp »

Nice one hope you have a great retirement. I took early retirement and it was one of my better decisions. Much healthier for it. Enjoy. :)
smileymiley
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Thanks.... I  will  :)
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I'm on the cusp, myself.  I've always known the answer to two important questions:  What is the first thing you'd buy for yourself if you won the lottery?  And:  How do you want to spend your retirement?  The answers are:  A Vincent Black Shadow and spending summers biking thru Europe.  Well, the last one's coming true without the winning ticket.  My French cycle buddy from my 1971 tour on a Bonneville is retired (!) near Avignon in the south, so I'll buy a bike over there and leave it with him.  Unfortunately, I think his touring days are done.  Looking forward to seeing more of me Mum's homeland of Britain, too.  I'm sure we all know blokes who can't stand not working anymore (nor can their spouses), but it sounds to me like you share my lifelong condition:  ICL.  Infinite Capacity for Leisure.  I'd initially thought of buying a smaller bike, some 750 or other.  But my tour of the US and Canada last summer spoiled me, so I think I'll buy a used RT.  Do you know if there are typically numerous BMW dealers/mechanics on the continent?  I'll be headed to Greece, Hungary and Czechoslovakia, and am I right in assuming it's not hard to find Beemer mechanics over there? Well, may you LOL in your new LOL (Life of Leisure). Maybe I'll see you on the motorways?
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

Dealer network is comprehensive, you could also look a BMW assist package depending on age and millage of the bike for complete peace of mind while travelling. It's 24/7 and covers all manner of incidents, you will still need personal travel insurance on top.

When travelling if you have a issue and you can still ride, nav 5 and 6 has a button for nearest dealer.

I gave up work Aug 2016 at 50ish haven't had any down time at all which I need to work on! Doing nowt (nothing is also ok)
I did feel I had somewhat lost my identity e.g. people really judging me for what i do for a job, using this to measure where I fitted in....this lasted a week
Last edited by austin1964 on Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

jackronner wrote: I'm on the cusp, myself.  I've always known the answer to two important questions:  What is the first thing you'd buy for yourself if you won the lottery?  And:  How do you want to spend your retirement?  The answers are:  A Vincent Black Shadow and spending summers biking thru Europe.  Well, the last one's coming true without the winning ticket.  My French cycle buddy from my 1971 tour on a Bonneville is retired (!) near Avignon in the south, so I'll buy a bike over there and leave it with him.  Unfortunately, I think his touring days are done.  Looking forward to seeing more of me Mum's homeland of Britain, too.  I'm sure we all know blokes who can't stand not working anymore (nor can their spouses),but it sounds to me like you share my lifelong condition:  ICL.  Infinite Capacity for Leisure.  I'd initially thought of buying a smaller bike, some 750 or other.  But my tour of the US and Canada last summer spoiled me, so I think I'll buy a used RT.  Do you know if there are typically numerous BMW dealers/mechanics on the continent?  I'll be headed to Greece, Hungary and Czechoslovakia, and am I right in assuming it's not hard to find Beemer mechanics over there? Well, may you LOL in your new LOL (Life of Leisure). Maybe I'll see you on the motorways?
Good network of dealers throughout Europe.
If you're in blighty anytime you are more than welcome to visit.PS Try not to do too much motorways!
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

smileymiley wrote: If you're in blighty anytime you are more than welcome to visit.PS Try not to do too much motorways!

Definitely, and in my experience it is a lot easier to get around without having to use motorways in Europe than in the states
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

There is no Czechoslovakia any more but there is a Slovakia and a Czech Republic.
Calling a Czech a Slovak or vice versa is not a way to endear yourself to people as you travel through Europe.
Enjoy your retirement !  😊
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

gogs01 wrote: There is no Czechoslovakia any more but there is a Slovakia and a Czech Republic.
Calling a Czech a Slovak or vice versa is not a way to endear yourself to people as you travel through Europe.
Enjoy your retirement !  😊

Who says he wants to 'endear'? It's so much more fun to piss people off! 😂
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Ooops.  I still reckon geography from my '71 tour.  I got to add two countries to my list when Croatia and Slovenia later emerged from Yugoslavia, but lost one when East Germany merged.  Back then, it was walls (literal and figurative) and "The Curtain" fell.  Now it seems building walls is all the rage.  BTW, if Britain EVER brexits,  will that affect what I assume is a mutual enforcement pact with the EU?  I take it that, now, any speeding tickets on the continent will be enforced by the UK?  Since I will be based in France, I wonder if it would benefit me to buy and register the bike in the UK, at least until it comes time to re-register?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

jackronner wrote: Ooops.  I still reckon geography from my '71 tour.....BTW, if Britain EVER brexits,  will that affect what I assume is a mutual enforcement pact with the EU?  I take it that, now, any speeding tickets on the continent will be enforced by the UK?.....
A great deal has changed since '71 !!
Speeding tickets etc are now enforced across all of the eu countries - I was sent a fine for not having a vignette for Hungary ! There is currently no escape. Will anything change with Brexit ?  No idea !!  🙄
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

gogs01,  I'd say one thing will surely change after Brexit:  the government!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

jackronner wrote: gogs01,  I'd say one thing will surely change after Brexit:  the government!

The government may even change before !  😳

I have read that we get the governments we deserve, and that is making some sense in the current climate.
I shudder to think what's coming next .....  😩
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

You think you've got it bad? OUR gov't "trumps" yours any day!!!!  If we deserve this gov't, I think I'll just top myself and get this theater of the absurd over with.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:Speeding tickets etc. are now enforced across all of the EU countries.
Was recently made aware of a guy in the UK who got speeding ticket (with photo evidence),  from Germany, he was driving a motorhome.