Need advice for choosing an RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
kivimmi1

Need advice for choosing an RT

Post by kivimmi1 »

Hello,

After riding a Kawasaki Concours 14 for one season I decided to go back to BMW. Kawi is a great bike but I truly miss the comfort and handling of BMW.

I am not keen on spending too much money at this point and am looking at a couple of older RT’s (2005 to 2007 models with 25k to 35k miles on the clock) and a couple of 2011 models with 60k to 65k miles.

The older ones do not have ESA and not too many extras at all but they are at my knowledge reasonably maintained and overall in good condition. I can live without the extras though. The newer ones have all the extras and full BMW service history.

What is your opinion? Should I go for the lower mileage older options or the later models? I have never had a bike with so many miles as those 2011 models, but I assume that with proper service history even that is not bad for an RT.

Thanks,

Mika
bandytales

Re: Need advice for choosing an RT

Post by bandytales »

kivimmi1 wrote: Hello,

After riding a Kawasaki Concours 14 for one season I decided to go back to BMW. Kawi is a great bike but I truly miss the comfort and handling of BMW.

I am not keen on spending too much money at this point and am looking at a couple of older RT’s (2005 to 2007 models with 25k to 35k miles on the clock) and a couple of 2011 models with 60k to 65k miles.

The older ones do not have ESA and not too many extras at all but they are at my knowledge reasonably maintained and overall in good condition. I can live without the extras though. The newer ones have all the extras and full BMW service history.

What is your opinion? Should I go for the lower mileage older options or the later models? I have never had a bike with so many miles as those 2011 models, but I assume that with proper service history even that is not bad for an RT.

Thanks,

Mika

I have no hesitation. If you are comparing the option of buying a 2005 - 2007 OR a 2011, it would be the 2011 every time. A much better bike with the same (ugly duckling) look.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Personally I'd go for the newest with a full history. However, you pays your money and takes your chance.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

First thing to do is make sure that any BMW you look at was serviced by a recognized dealer and at the correct intervals , watch out for it was serviced by the owner who is a mechanic , yer right see ya !!!! but if its genuine mileage it should be no problem . Good Luck
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Switchgear was a common issue with the twitcam models (eg 2011), but with high miles and a dealer service history all the issues should have come to light and been fixed already.  These bikes like miles so, if its between a 2006 and a 2011 at the same price, I would go for the 2011.  As a bonus, you won't have to re-educate your fingers to the "BMW" indicator system.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

hammo wrote: First thing to do is make sure that any BMW you look at was serviced by a recognized dealer and at the correct intervals , watch out for it was serviced by the owner who is a mechanic , yer right see ya !!!! but if its genuine mileage it should be no problem . Good Luck

Hammo, I can't disagree with you more.
Private BMW owners who present a documented service history I would trust WAY more than a dealer serviced bike. They tend to be fanatics and have way more integrity than a workshop lad who has to get 'n' number of bikes through in a day.
Check the bike very carefully, check the history very carefully and test ride it meaningfully. Low speed, high speed, handling,  acceleration and stopping. On a test ride, ONLY when it is fully warmed up , don't pamper the bike. You need to know the clutch doesn't slip, you need to know the ABS works etc! Check for farkles. Inspect the wiring to the farkles, that gives an indication of owner competence.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

bandytales wrote: Hammo, I can't disagree with you more.
Private BMW owners who present a documented service history I would trust WAY more than a dealer serviced bike. They tend to be fanatics and have way more integrity than a workshop lad who has to get 'n' number of bikes through in a day.
Check the bike very carefully, check the history very carefully and test ride it meaningfully. Low speed, high speed, handling, acceleration and stopping. On a test ride, ONLY when it is fully warmed up , don't pamper the bike. You need to know the clutch doesn't slip, you need to know the ABS works etc! Check for farkles. Inspect the wiring to the farkles, that gives an indication of owner competence.
I have always done the routine servicing and spannering on my bikes. In cases where I have entrusted jobs to main dealers I have found them wanting, in the main.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Stratman wrote: I have always done the routine servicing and spannering on my bikes. In cases where I have entrusted jobs to main dealers I have found them wanting, in the main.
+1 I don't use dealerships unless I need to keep in with them for warranty claims etc. I've many tales of woe involving dealership servicing over the years, because unfortunately they have profits and deadlines to meet. Recently, my son had to return his new Triumph Speed Triple to the dealership with an oil leak. The technician had failed to put a crush washer on the sump plug during the first service. And having made that error, you would have thought the last thing they would have done is drain the existing oil out and then reuse it.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Hey everyone has there own opinion , i,m like yourself going on my experiences , but i have had my BMWRTLE 14 month now and i am coming up to 8000 mile and i have had no issues with the bike at all , my local dealer has been excellant in all after sales enquiries anyway good luck my friend hope you get sorted . :whistle:
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I've had good service and poor from dealers.

I would say if you can find a local mechanic that knows BMWs get them to give whatever you are considering the once over, if you tell us where you are based someone may be able to recommend one.
kivimmi1

Post by kivimmi1 »

Thanks a lot guys for your comments! I got myself a 2010 model (Thunder Gray colour) with 40k miles. Full BMW dealer service history. ESA, cruise control and heated seats as options as well as chromed exhaust.

As I said the Concours was a great bike but as soon as I drove away from dealer with my RT I felt like home again, No annoying vibrations, nice and comfort seating position and even though Kawi had more power I like the smooth and strong low end grunt of the BMW boxer
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

kivimmi1 wrote: Thanks a lot guys for your comments! I got myself a 2010 model (Thunder Gray colour) with 40k miles. Full BMW dealer service history. ESA, cruise control and heated seats as options as well as chromed exhaust ..... I like the smooth and strong low end grunt of the BMW boxer
Congratulations - enjoy !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nice choice - enjoy  8)