Nav VI working intermittently with Garmin Safety Cameras?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Nav VI working intermittently with Garmin Safety Cameras?

Post by Peter Baker »

Hi, just wondered if I am alone in this:-).  I've owned BMW Navigator IV, V and now a VI.  I update my Speed Camera subscriptions when I go touring which I did as usual this Spring.  When on tour I realised the Belgium/Luxembourg were not working/installed, got back complained to Garmin, they fixed it by asking me to delete some .gpi files and re-install the software.  Next trip another country was missing, same solution from Garmin.  Last one was UK not working so they have given me a dedicated UK subscription on top of my European subscription.  Current status is Speed Camera warnings sometimes appear and then next time I ride the bike they don't (testing on the same road/camera for a while now!).  Anyone else got this problem or more importantly know how to fix it?  Thanks in advance, Peter
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav VI working intermittently with Garmin Safety Cameras?

Post by Casbar »

Peter Baker wrote: Hi, just wondered if I am alone in this:-).  I've owned BMW Navigator IV, V and now a VI.  I update my Speed Camera subscriptions when I go touring which I did as usual this Spring.  When on tour I realised the Belgium/Luxembourg were not working/installed, got back complained to Garmin, they fixed it by asking me to delete some .gpi files and re-install the software.  Next trip another country was missing, same solution from Garmin.  Last one was UK not working so they have given me a dedicated UK subscription on top of my European subscription.  Current status is Speed Camera warnings sometimes appear and then next time I ride the bike they don't (testing on the same road/camera for a while now!).  Anyone else got this problem or more importantly know how to fix it?  Thanks in advance, Peter

Interesting, what does a subscription get you? I get speed camera warnings in the UK, but don't have any special subscription with my Nav VI, just the normal lifetime maps that came with the device.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Maybe with a subscription you don't get audible warnings pinging in your ears every 10 seconds?  :))

As above, plenty of camera warnings for me with just the standard maps (and audible warnings turned OFF).
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I think with the subscription you get updates to where cameras are as and when they are added/moved and of course in Europe which is where I use it most.  Peter
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Peter Baker wrote: I think with the subscription you get updates to where cameras are as and when they are added/moved and of course in Europe which is where I use it most.  Peter

Thought you had to switch off POI in some Euro countries as camera alerts are illegal, they certainly are in France.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote:
Thought you had to switch off POI in some Euro countries as camera alerts are illegal, they certainly are in France.

My Nav V warns of speed cameras everywhere except France, where it warns of "dangerous road sections" instead.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

I subscribe to pocketgpsworld. I get weekly updates and very easy to install on Navs
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I know this is possibly a stupid question, and might be considered insulting, (All of which I apologise.) However, when the GPS does not not notify you of a Camera, is it on the same side?

I had a Zumo 595, and sometimes it warned me, and sometimes not - it seemed to be when I was approaching the camera from the "wrong" side.  As this was in Belgium where I live, I knew where the camera's are so I could tell if it was being sullen or not.

Due to the battery issue, and replacing the RT the Zumo has been returned to the dealer, and I am awaiting the new bike before getting a replacement GPS (Nav VI.)

Also what might affect the notifications is, if you have another Camera warning database active.

Just saying, and I could be wrong.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth