Cheap tent out of a m-cycle cover

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Cheap tent out of a m-cycle cover

Post by jackronner »

I'm about to embark on a short 1500 mile trip, and was debating whether to pack a tent when I looked at my bike under its cover when it occurred to me that it would make a neat little emergency tent.  It's waterproof, and I figure I'll just fabricate a half-hoop to keep it off my face and Robert's your mother's brother (Bob's your uncle).    If you don't hear back from me, it means I've smothered in it.
Frank123

Re: Cheap tent out of a m-cycle cover

Post by Frank123 »

Hi be sure to test this one out in you back garden. I can only imagine the amount of water vapor, from your breath, that will form inside your 'tent' then run down the walls or worse drip on you from above. Not to mention the amount of CO2 you produce.....
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

You can buy a tent for under $20 that will keep you warm and dry. If you must go minimalist get a bivvy bag. Both options are cheap and will at least keep you dry.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I have a small emergency tent I sometimes carry, motorcycle or hiking that is small and designed for emergency shelter. Many versions of these, mine was about $20.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NVWY95Y/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ewPvEb4CDGMTT

Also have Bivy Sack as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07681P4RZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ZwPvEbEMVNC7E

These are both very small and light to carry.
Jonbeem

Post by Jonbeem »

I don’t know about the tent but I love your sense of humor  :))
julianq

Post by julianq »

Riding through Botswana, tried this, semi desert I would have called it, pulled bike cover over me to keep me dry and might as well have kept riding, the torrential rain in the bone dry desert just went straight through I think, was soaked. Tried it before in Zambia and it was fine in the dry but had vents by the mirror bit which I tied to the bike, no condensation and kept the mossies at bay.
Would I recement it? No both times should have used the tent I carried and took 5 minutes to put up. Had time in Botswana as I had watched this grey patch travel towards me for 15 minutes but thought I could outrun it.
Moral of the story, when tired your plan is always the wrong one.
JQ 2007 R1200RT