Impersonating a police officer

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Impersonating a police officer

Post by MikeS »

I was in Brighton today waiting to cross the road when I saw what I thought was a police motorcyclist coming down the road.
As they passed me I realised it was somebody trying to pass themselves off as a police biker. White bike (Honda something or other),high Viz yellow jacket and white helmet with chequered tape around the base. They had the "POLITE" think biker vest on and chevron markings on the panniers.
At what point does this become illegal?
Reminds me of the fantasist that was driving around a few years ago trying to pass themselves off as a paramedic.
Last edited by MikeS on Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Impersonating a police officer

Post by David. »

MikeS wrote:At what point does this become illegal?
Looks like it may have to be a genuine article of police uniform, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/16/section/90
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

"any act calculated falsely to suggest that he is such a member or constable, shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to imprisonment."[/size]

I would think that this covers it in paragraph 1, not police issue kit but near enough in appearance to allow the deception.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like it may not be illegal after all, https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/201 ... ined-life/
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I've not got anything against people that wear high viz and ride white bikes, it's individual choice.

It just seems odd when the whole picture suggests you're something that you're not (this isn't the person I saw today, not too far off though).

Attachments
33mda267fk7z~2.jpg
Last edited by MikeS on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

With so many countries using the RT's as police bikes, we Beemer Blokes on white bikes can slow speeders down, especially when lingering in their rear-view mirrors.  I've always thought that the cops secretly liked this effect.  Cops in smaller towns in the US would park and leave a disused cop car by the side of the highway to the same effect.  Especially in the days when only bikes here had their lights on in daylight, it was a pain in the butt sometimes, causing those ahead to slow down and cause a mini-traffic jam. 
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

David. wrote: Looks like it may not be illegal after all, https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/june/polite-vest-ruined-life/

Very interesting. One can only wonder what would have happened if he had not chosen to make a complaint about police treatment.

John Bentall
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

My opinion on this is simple.. WEAR clothing to be SEEN!! If the high vis is seen, great, and it is proven high vis are seen, so wear them....  I think its irrelevant how we perceive other bikers reasons for wearing POLITE high vis...as it's an individual  thing.

I would wear Politely F off Car if i had my way...im entitled and legally allowed to filter and move in front or down the side of you... :P

If fellow bikers can be seen, and feel safe, and that means for them wearing or even pretending to copy police high vis, so be it.. I don't copy others, I ride for myself..and think of my own bubble  of protection!

Also, if we all wore POLITE hi vis, and it does slow motorist down, or make them think twice, GOOD.  Some drivers need too!!

:P
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I ride a white RT and am conscious of the fact it looks superficially like a police bike to the average road user, and I do have dayglo red stickers on the rear of the panniers to help prevent being rear-ended in London traffic.
But I wouldn’t do or wear anything that deceives other road users. Imagine if you’re under the impression there’s a Police bike behind you and pull over or let it pass, only to find you’ve been deceived. Not helpful for our relationship with other road users.
In my opinion the guy in the photo is obviously out to deceive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Taz

Post by Taz »

Back in 1998 I had a Volvo 850 in white. The Cheshire police motorway cars were white volvo 850 estates. Quite often I would drive along the outside lane and the traffic would move out of my way like the parting of the Red Sea !!
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

B787MECH wrote: I ride a white RT and am conscious of the fact it looks superficially like a police bike to the average road user, and I do have dayglo red stickers on the rear of the panniers to help prevent being rear-ended in London traffic.
But I wouldn’t do or wear anything that deceives other road users. Imagine if you’re under the impression there’s a Police bike behind you and pull over or let it pass, only to find you’ve been deceived. Not helpful for our relationship with other road users.
In my opinion the guy in the photo is obviously out to deceive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When the guy/gal in the car pulls out in front of you from the side road, he cannot see the POLITE wording on the back of the vest and it is extremely doubtful that he/she can make out the chequer-board tape on the vest either. So no intention to deceive there.

I would not use a POLITE vest, but do ride a white RT (cheaper then the other colours), wear a white helmet (also cheaper than the other colours) and use a hi-viz vest with all my jackets that are not bright red.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I do a lot of miles on a fully marked Blood Bike. We wear hi viz jackets etc. People still pull out in front of you, the best defence is - defensive riding and being aware of your surroundings. The colour of the bike or what you wear, doesn't help that much. Hi Viz doesn't work in all situations either, I'm sure your all aware that the background surrounds dictate which colour works best. Orange stands out well, as everyone seems to wear yellow now :) Having a fully marked bike does help with filtering.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Interesting read.
I have just bought a 2016 RT LE in white. No specific reason for going for white, it was the right bike at the right price at the right time for me. It has all the boxes so fully geared up. Do people think it's old bill coming up behind them? Dunno, cos I'm a great believer in one helluva lot of road users don't pay much attention to what's behind them, certainly not often enough anyway.
Here's a thing..... I always rode wearing my Richa plain yellow high vis tabard. You'll notice I said always rode, cos I did stop wearing it for a while solely due to not wanting to be perceived as trying to be a wannabe copper. Mad really, cos ANYTHING that gets you noticed in any way is a positive in my book. Well sod it, who cares what others think, it gets worn again now. If some people see me and think I'm a copper, or even someone who wants to be seen as one, so be it, at least they've seen me.

I'm a Paramedic, and it's always been a question I ask when attending RTA's involving motorcycles about how the accident happened. I am always amazed at how many times a vehicle driver says " I didn't see him, he wasn't there when I looked". Now a lot of accidents are caused by motorcycles doing excessive speed or overtaking in stupid places, but equally many are not. A lot could be down to poor road position, poor riding, poor decisions by the rider, but many are also down to car drivers just not seeing us.

To prove my point, I drive reponse cars and the 5.5 tonnes Mercedes ambulances. Big, bright yellow boxes with green/yellow battenberg on them, all kinds of different sirens that cater for the tone deaf and hard of hearing, but also different environments. Flashing blue lights, even headlight high beam flashes all to warn other road users of our presence and our desire to make progress. You would be amazed how many times we come up behind a car that has not seen us or heard us at all. Three or four cars ahead have heard us and all pulled over to allow us through, but the one right in front of you has no idea we are there, and even waves thank you to the other cars for pulling over as they go past them. Frightening that these people are permitted to still drive on the roads.
So, not hearing or seeing all of that, do I really think they'll notice me in my yellow hi vis? Who knows, but I assume they'd see my black jacket even less.
Stay safe everyone.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Just a thought. Mine like many other bikes has self cancelling indicators. These are fine when junctions are far apart but on roundabouts and multi access roads close together the self cancelling indicators can be hazardous for obvious reasons. I always cancel the indicator as soon as possible after turning not leaving it to the bike.
Last edited by Beagle on Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

The way car drivers act today i would not mind any motorcyclist wearing as much visible clothing as he /she can in my mind the more the better !!!!
Is it just me or because i,m a motorcyclist but car drivers are so impatient these days most of them do not know the meaning of courtesy did they remove good driving manners from the driving test ? You could have every led light fitted front and back of your bike but some idiot would still not see you , keep all your reflective gear on always !!!!!! :nervous: