Post mortem on early problems encountered with 2014 RTs

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
rwbloch

Post mortem on early problems encountered with 2014 RTs

Post by rwbloch »

I am considering purchasing a 2014 RT, after prematurely selling my '09 RT last Fall after 60,000+ very happy miles. I remember when the "new at the time" 2014 version came out there were some significant mechanical defects that were remedied by design tweaks and a recall?  I was wondering if any owners of the 2014 model year RTs could weigh in on their experience, i.e. were the problems solved? Did any additional "new design" problems emerge? Thank you.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Post mortem on early problems encountered with 2014 RTs

Post by Casbar »

I had an early 2014 RT, only problem was the exhaust flap, needed two sets of headers, both replaced under warranty. I also look after a late 2014 RT which has done 49k, exhaust flap again is stuck, I've free it off, but won't be buying new headers at £1200, if it sticks open again, it can stay stuck. But the big one is, they are prone to Alternator issues, which is inside the engine. Just had the Alternator replaced as it wouldn't charge the battery. Bill is circa £2k. Later years BMW apparently sorted the Alternator.