Sat Nav misbehaving

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Sat Nav misbehaving

Post by Gavj »

So, I started the bike after it sitting for a couple of months.... I know there are a few schools of thought on this but I like to get it to full temperature and spin the gearbox to splash the oill around and hopefully dry off some condensation ( I know it may cause more)

Anyway, the Nav lit up and promptly went blank again.. removed it from the cradle and re inserted a couple of times, still nothing. Went through the menus using the thumbwheel thingy but sat nav wasnt there.

Took it indoors and connected it to a charger, no problems worked fine albeit with a very low battery. Let it charge for a bit and then updated the software.

It may just be the battery went flat but I thought that the bike would power it up even if the nav battery is flat, any suggestions? I will try again at the weekend if i can get the garage padlock defrosted again 

Nav is a Vavigator VI, only 6 months old as is the bike.

Happy New year everyone, hope this one is better for all of us, take care and keep safe.
Tiedend
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Sat Nav misbehaving

Post by Tiedend »

Hi Gavj

The Nav VI manual says that it will fire up as soon as bike power is available. It does not!

I have experienced this several times once the battery in the Nav VI gets low. I get a blank screen. It won’t even fire up when you’ve been riding for half an hour. I’ve had to stop the bike wait a minute or two to allow it to shut down & then the Nav VI will boot.

I do not leave it on the bike now. I also fully shut it down. Leaving it it standby drains the battery faster & then you’re back at square one with a device that has power from the bike but won’t boot.

Happy new year.

Graham
Graham
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Thanks Graham, better to keep it off the bike for the winter, dont like leaving anythkng lying around the house as the missus tends to put it somewhere safe  :( , but its never her that moved it  :alas:
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

Gavj,

Yup, normal performance from my Nav Vi, if left on the bike for a few weeks, without going out for a ride.  Once the Nav Vi battery is charged up, it is business as usual.

I suppose the answer would be to ride the bike more often, but I don't like salty roads (that's what my Panthers are for) and now we are in lockdown, so rides are very limited (shops/pharmacy only, for me).

Stay safe,

Old Foxy
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Nav need to be switched off manually just taking it off bike, even though screen blank will leave in standby mode and drain battery. Need to hold power button for couple seconds and turn completely off.
dengieken

Post by dengieken »

I’ve had this problem & I now store my Nav 6 with the battery unplugged!
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Thanks all, I had alll sorts of can bus reated issues running around my head  :alas: 

Old Foxy, you have the right idea, I do try and ride all year round, I live on a main road which is generally clear of ice fairly quickly, the problem is my drive, currently a frozen layer with 1" of snow on top.. struggling to walk down it never mind getting the bike through. Never though I would wish for rain.....
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

Gavj wrote: So, I started the bike after it sitting for a couple of months.... I know there are a few schools of thought on this but I like to get it to full temperature and spin the gearbox to splash the oill around and hopefully dry off some condensation ( I know it may cause more)

Anyway, the Nav lit up and promptly went blank again.. removed it from the cradle and re inserted a couple of times, still nothing. Went through the menus using the thumbwheel thingy but sat nav wasnt there.

Took it indoors and connected it to a charger, no problems worked fine albeit with a very low battery. Let it charge for a bit and then updated the software.

It may just be the battery went flat but I thought that the bike would power it up even if the nav battery is flat, any suggestions? I will try again at the weekend if i can get the garage padlock defrosted again 

Nav is a Vavigator VI, only 6 months old as is the bike.

Happy New year everyone, hope this one is better for all of us, take care and keep safe.

Its a flat and dead as mine did this a month ago. If you stick it on your bike, about 30 to 45 mins it will boot up.. reason its not on the menu is because its flat. 

no fault or problem.. or maybe our own fault actually for letting it get flat lol

Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

davef1uk wrote:
Its a flat and dead as mine did this a month ago. If you stick it on your bike, about 30 to 45 mins it will boot up.. reason its not on the menu is because its flat. 

no fault or problem.. or maybe our own fault actually for letting it get flat lol

As I say to the wife on a regular basis.. "I knew it would be my fault in the end"  :))