Broken down

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
trickydicky
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT. 2012
Been liked: 2 times
Wales

Broken down

Post by trickydicky »

Coming back from France, ride 2000 miles and get 50 miles from home in fast lane and engine cuts out. Get to hard shoulder see that display is missing fuel level and temperature level. Also when switching on ignition doesn't show 'CHECK', tyre sensor warning lights (rear sensor waiting to be replaced) abs & brake failure lights. Everything else seems to work except starter. Tried connecting starter direct to battery,turns engine but not starting. Any suggestions.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 416 times
Great Britain

Re: Broken down

Post by sakm »

What year is the bike?
trickydicky
Wales

Post by trickydicky »

jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Surely you have recovery?

Sorry I can't help further, anything like that is a recovery for me :oops:
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 416 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Am I right in thinking that it could be fuel pump related and you can bypass them
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 337 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

trickydicky wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:58 pmSee that display is missing fuel level and temperature level. Also when switching on ignition doesn't show 'CHECK', abs & brake failure lights. Everything else seems to work except starter.
My educated guess would be a faulty stop/start switch which can be effected by ambient temperature. On my 2012 Camhead, if the switch is in the "stop" position, when switching on the ignition, the fuel level and temperature level are not displayed, neither does it go through the "CHECK" procedure. With the s/s switch in the "run" position, everything on the dash display is normal.

When in Germany one year, the bike was parked out in the baking heat of the sun, went to start the bike and nothing. Left overnight and it was ok the next day. The switches are rather flaky, had the switch changed at a dealer in Germany and the LHS switch when back home in the UK.
trickydicky wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:58 pmIn fast lane and engine cuts out.
This might sound a bit odd whilst riding along but is a possibility.
trickydicky
Wales

Post by trickydicky »

Thanks guys, I do have breakdown cover it's just that I did breakdown, I'd be still on the M4 otherwise, pushing my bike 50 miles lol. Could be the fuel pump but it was a complete shutdown I would think that with a pump there would have been some sort of off and on before it stopped completely, being injection I would think you couldn't bypass the pump. The starter switch, that's come up a few times and that might be a possibility but thinking it might have been that, I now think I've worn it out ,switching it off and on so many times (only joking) but what we all need with this sort of thing is some to say " that's exactly what happened to me and the cause was !!!!!". One other thing it might be just a coincidence but I came into some roadworks and had to slow down so I pressed the screen button to lower it, it was at that instant that it shut down, it was like pressing the stop switch. The screen is still working when ignition is on but can't help thinking it's connected.
trickydicky
Wales

Post by trickydicky »

I do have a feeling that the air temperature can affect the switch. In the past on hot days I've stopped the bike gone for a coffee and on return the starter didn't work but found a way to bypass the switch and start it. On these occasions I get home and the switch works after a few hours. I've tried the bypass on this occasion, starter turns but engine doesn't start.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 208 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Check for spark,that will give you an idea whether it's fuel or electric related :thumb:
trickydicky
Wales

Post by trickydicky »

Thanks. Will try that.
trickydicky
Wales

Post by trickydicky »

Having said that I'm wondering if the display is affected and checking procedures not working, fuel pump and spark might also be shut down by ECU. Before anyone says it I know the best way is diagnostic but aren't we all looking to avoid making BMW richer than they already are by finding someone who just might know a solution.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

trickydicky wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:23 amThe starter switch, that's come up a few times and that might be a possibility but thinking it might have been that, I now think I've worn it out , switching it off and on so many times.
What mileage has the bike done. I've had the LHS switch replaced after using the cruise control too much. The switches are really poor quality.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

trickydicky wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:09 amBefore anyone says it I know the best way is diagnostic.
Probably correct, I believe the function of the switches can be checked. When mine failed in Germany, we had organised recovery for the next day but then it started and road to the dealer in Kassel. The dealer wouldn't have changed the switch if it wasn't faulty. I'm not sure if fault codes are stored too.
trickydicky
Wales

Post by trickydicky »

David the bike is 2012, I bought it 2years ago with 13000 miles on the clock and the condition of the bike showed this - immaculate. It has now done 23000 miles. As it happens I use the cruise control at every opportunity so it's well used but haven't had any problems with it.
trickydicky
Wales

Post by trickydicky »

I live near Cardiff, anyone know anyone who does diagnostic checks at homes. My main problem is getting the bike to a BMW dealer.