General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
frogor
Bike Model and Year: RT1250 2021
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

RT1200 Low

Post by frogor »

Hi to all. Found a 2012 RT1200 that is all I need in a RT, however, it is a RT Low and I am 6"2, not a good match. Question is, what comprises a Low model? Just the seat? Seat and suspension? Is it feasable to convert to standard height? I currently ride an 1800 Goldwing and just need to downsize and lose a few pounds.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 337 times
Great Britain

Re: RT1200 Low

Post by David. »

AFAIK and from what I have read on other forums, an RT is lowered as follows.

The seat is the one piece "comfort" extra low bench style rider and pillion version. To convert back to the standard or low separate rider and pillion seats, some frame fitting hardware is required and of course two seats.

I believe that the suspension is lowered by reducing the length of both the F&R shock absorber springs. ESA is not an option with lowered springs but manual adjustment is possible.

One other thing is that as the chassis is lower, both the side & centre stand are shorter than standard.

Presumably all these modifications could be reversed.

Having said all that, perhaps what really matters is the seat to footrest distance. I think that shorter springs will give less suspension travel.
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 922 times
Been liked: 245 times
Great Britain

Re: RT1200 Low

Post by Doctor T »

Welcome to the site.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.