General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

Captain Sisko - RBLR 1,000miles in 24hrs

Post by Sullivj »

Hi Nick,

I noticed on your bike that you've done this at least at once before, and I see in another thread you're planning to do it again...Made me wonder if your name should actually be Captain 'Psycho'!

Seriously though - 1,000 miles in 24 hours is quite some achievement. Where do you ride to cover the miles?
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 63 times
Great Britain

Re: Captain Sisko - RBLR 1,000miles in 24hrs

Post by Capt Sisko »

This will be my third 1,000 (as also did a 500mile taster), so yeah maybe I should change my name but really, it's not that bad. If you can average 50mph for 20hrs, that's 1,000miles and gives you 4 hours for fuel & food stops, stretch and nipping behind the hedge breaks! In practice to achieve that sort of speed / time you need to ride on a lot of the miles on motorways, dual carriageways & good A roads, as the police used to say, you do need to make progress; however if you arrive back too soon and you'll be disqualified as the organisers will know you've been speeding. The trick is to keep the pit stops efficient; fuel, a snack bar & water in, a pee out and keep the miles rolling. By later in the day you'll know how far/much time you've got left to go and hopefully you'll have time in hand for longer breaks.

For the RBLR, all routes start at Squires Cafe just off the A1(M) near Leeds and you've got a choice of a preset North or South 1,000mile loop, which you can do clockwise or anti-clockwise, plus a 500mile in 15hrs loop of northern England and the Scottish Borders. That's no mean achievement on it's own as it's more A road than motorway and some of the A roads are minor ones.

I'm doing North Anti-Clockwise this year. Basically we leave at 5.00am and head north to Berwick-upon-Tweed, Edinburgh and eventually Wick. Turn around, head back south to Inverness, across to Fort William, down to Glasgow and due south down the M74/M6 & over the M62 back to Squires. My planning & estimates of timing says I'll be back at about 2.00am.

I won't deny I'll ache during & afterwards, but the feeling of satisfaction & camaraderie is second to none. Typically we raise about £30,000 for the British Legion.

More info here:-
https://www.rblr1000.co.uk/
Last edited by Capt Sisko on Tue May 14, 2024 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks Nick. It's an impressive thing to do, although I'm not sure it's for me. I think my concentration could deteriorate over such a long period.

Good luck with your adventure. Let me know when your sponsorship link goes live and I'll contribute.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Impressive feat, but not for me. I have the low seat, with fat chance padding and my backside is crying enough after 100 miles.