Hello everyone....

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
chrismckay

Hello everyone....

Post by chrismckay »

I have just taken ownership of a 2012 RT1200 SE.

I am mightily impressed with the boxer which is a big contrast to my Honda VFR VTEC 2013 model, my reason for purchasing the RT was so that myself and the wife can tour Europe in a bit of comfort.

I had a 580 mile ride from place of purchase to my home, I loved the upright positioning, but the seat wasnt the comfort I expected so I have ordered a few extras!!!

I have added so far...

BMW comfort seat
BMW inner luggage
Fender Extenda

Has anybody got the comfort screen and if so was it a good purchase?

Hope the new forum takes off  :D

Chris....
guest2360

Re: Hello everyone....

Post by guest2360 »

I would suggest playing with the screen a bit before swapping.  I know loads of people with sheds full of screens that dont work. I also had the BMW one piece comfort seat and found it great.  Again give it a bit of time.  The BMW impact protectors for the panniers are a good investment. The lids cost £250 plus each.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Hello everyone....

Post by beemerbaz »

I bought a replacement screen from CEE Bailey, it's and inch taller than stock and has a slight curve at the top of the screen which sends the flow of air over my head. Not cheap but I love it. I will post a pic or 2 of my bike so you can see it.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/

Last edited by beemerbaz on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I picked up a one-pice comfort seat from a guy locally and what a difference it makes  ;D
Why oh why do manufacturers charge thousands of pounds producing a tourer, which should be designed for many hours continual use, and then charge you another wedge for a "comfort seat"!
Shouldn't the original seat be comfortable?  ???
I can understand not developing one for a pocket-rocket, but tourers? c'mon - stop ripping us off!
Sorry - rant over!  ::)
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Post by beemerbaz »

I bought a comfort seat before the bike so never experienced the stock seat. What I love about the seat mostly is the 'back stop', gives great support to the lower back and keeps you firmly in your place. However after 400 miles my backside does begin to resemble a blood orange !!

Someone also suggested a sheep skin for those extra long rides or a gel pad, either that or eat more pies for a natural padded barrier :-)
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT