Heightened seat & lowered pegs experiences?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Impatient Sainter
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Australia

Heightened seat & lowered pegs experiences?

Post by Impatient Sainter »

Does anyone have any experience with adding height to the standard seats or lowering the foot pegs etc on a R1250RT. I am 6'2" and are thinking about adding some leg room Im just wondering which way to go? If you have done the additions do you have any photos of the bike/s with them on. Cheers.
Glenn
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2019
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 108 times
Great Britain

Re: Heightened seat & lowered pegs experiences?

Post by Glenn »

I used these on my original 1250, fitted with no issues, just ordered a set for the replacement bike. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 4022981137
jesim1
Bike Model and Year: R1250RTLE 2022
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by jesim1 »

Browse my posts, I've put on risers, peg lowers, a Sargent seat on HI and a bigger windscreen and I'm 6 1" :cheers:
Capt Sisko
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE - '18
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 70 times
Great Britain

Post by Capt Sisko »

I fitted a set of Amazon Far East knock off footpeg lowering brackets form Amazon UK 18months ago. A complete and exact copy of the better known German make but a third or more of the price. They even seemed to photocopy the fitting instructions.
I'm sure the same can be supplied by Amazon Au.

Ref seat heightening. I tried fitting some of those lowering rubbers, you know the ones with the offset holes, but fitted upside down to raise the seat. They fitted but several bumps later gravity did it's bit and they reverted to their natural 'down' position. They also made the front of the seat look naff with an enormous gap between the front of the seat and the tank/plastics which just looked wrong. What I have done though is to raise the front of the back seat by fitting a 10mmthick and about 20mm dia hard rubber spacer under the lugs that bolt the nose of the front seat down. As the back of the front seat rest on the front of the back seat, the effect is to raise it by 10mm. In theory you've now not got a 'flat' seat anymore, but I couldn't tell the difference and 15,000miles later those spacers are still in position.
Attachments
Spacers.jpg
Spacers.jpg (139.2 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
Rear Seat.jpg
Rear Seat.jpg (102.14 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
MCMXCIVRS
Bike Model and Year: 2023 R1250RT
Been liked: 6 times
Canada

Post by MCMXCIVRS »

I ordered my RT with the factory high seat and keep it set in the high position. I had test rode a bike with the standard seat prior to purchasing mine and realized I wanted a bit more leg room. Though I'm only 5'11" I sport long limbs and have a 33" inseam thus the desire to stretch out a bit. The bonus of the high seat is its a bit more cushy than the standard one having about an inch more foam. I haven't felt the need to go with lowered pegs as yet.
Ed
2023 R150RT, 2019 F850GSA, 94 R1100RS
Shuswaper
Bike Model and Year: 2023 R1250RT
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times
Canada

Post by Shuswaper »

When I test drove the new RT, I immediately found my knees were uncomfortably high....in fact I found that on all the big Beemers. At 6' and 32" inseam, I knew what I had to do if I was gonna buy one. Soooo, I ordered the '23 RT with the high seat (its in the low position) and added the pegs lowering kit form Ali Express....problem solved. The seat is cushy and the legs are feelin fine.
I highly recommend the combination ....the ground clearance in the corners is more than adequate as well.
Panman40
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 46 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

Well I’ve ordered the lowering kit from aliexpress, I’m just hoping there’s enough adjustment in the gear lever to get a comfortable position and still be able to change gear!. I’ll do that side first I think.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 225 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Plenty of adjustment in the lever.I had to extend the lever out to make it more comfortable but that is easy to do :thumb:
Panman40
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 46 times
Great Britain

Post by Panman40 »

burridge01 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:31 am Plenty of adjustment in the lever.I had to extend the lever out to make it more comfortable but that is easy to do :thumb:
Ah great, 👍, I think the brake side comes with a plate to lower it so should be fine.